- Actor Godreche denounces sexual violence in landmark French parliament hearing
- Ninety One UK Ltd - Form 8 (OPD) - Direct Line Insurance Group Plc
- Liverpool announce £9 mn loss for 2022/23 season
- Volt Joins Linebreak to Help Companies Maximize Edge Data Value
- Ailing Eiffel Tower dragged into power play for Paris city hall
- Norges Bank - Form 8.3 - Direct Line Insurance Group plc
- Leverkusen 'calm and optimistic' Alonso will stay
- MAG WELCOMES MAIN CONTRACTORS TO BID FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF KETURAH RESERVE
- Putin warns West of nuclear war risk
- Heavy security in Chad capital after attack on intelligence HQ
- EU consumers challenge Meta paid service as privacy 'smokescreen'
- Healthy Innovation Conference explores the future of the sustainable food industry
- Lesaffre inaugurates a yeast plant in Indonesia, strengthening its presence in Asia Pacific
- World No1 Vu lies stroke behind surprise Singapore LPGA leader
- atNorth Announce Camilla O'Leary as Sales Director for Denmark and the DACH region as Expansion Strategy Continues
- SlotsCalendar Unveils Exciting Transformation into a Social Casino - Play, Compete, and Win!
- YOFC Unveils Cutting-edge Innovations at 2024 MWC Barcelona
- Baseball superstar Ohtani reveals he is 'now married'
- Vantage Markets Clinches Coveted Global "Best CFD Broker" Award for 2024
- Vantage UK receives "Best CFD Broker, Global" Award for 2024
- Paddle bolsters leadership team with new CPO, CFO and VP of People ahead of the next stage of global expansion
- HIKMICRO Unveils its 'Explore Daytime Hunting in a New Way' Vision at IWA 2024
- ATFX appoints FX pioneer Drew Niv as Chief Strategy Officer
- Neweast and Isuzu Launch Groundbreaking Partnership in KSA
- China's thriving outbound tourism contributes to global economic recovery
- Happiest Minds partners with Secureworks to deliver next-gen XDR Services
- Appian Partners with Symphony to Enable Compliant Financial Communications and Process Automation
- Bionical Solutions Appoints Chief Technology Officer to Create Innovative Data Products and Software for the Digital Business
- Baseball superstar Shohei Ohtani reveals he is 'now married'
- AliExpress Marks Choice Anniversary with Deals and New Ambassadors
- BioInnovation Institute welcomes twelve new companies to its Venture Lab program
- Zendure Unveils an All-in-One Energy Solution AIO 2400 for a Sustainable Future
- WISCO, China Unicom and ZTE recognized as "Best Mobile Innovation for Connected Economy" at the GLOMO Awards 2024
- CloudRAN.AI Launches at MWC 2024, Revolutionizing Private 5G for Industrial Transformation
- Mast Energy Developments PLC share price soars 35% after securing a funding agreement with RiverFort Global Opportunities PCC Limited for a facility o...
- Asia's richest man launches lavish pre-wedding party in India
- Zuckerberg, S. Korea's President Yoon talk AI cooperation
- Asian markets rise ahead of US inflation data
- Swiss to vote on retirement age, pensions
- Aptoide enables Mir Card payments for Russian users
- ANICAV advocate the importance of legumes in the Australian diet as the days get colder
- Rare Disease Day 2024 - Call for greater awareness of X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy and cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy - special film launched
- Karelian Diamond Resources Plc - Half-yearly results for the six months ended 30 November 2023
- Mid Wynd International Investment Trust Plc - Half-year Report
- Sygnum Bank, Hamilton Lane and Apex Group Expand Access to Private Markets via DLT-Registered Shares in USD 3.8bn Fund
- Conroy Gold & Natural Resources Plc - Half-yearly results for the six months ended 30 November 2023
- KR1 Plc - Unaudited Net Asset Value Update (January 2024)
- Tetragon Financial Group Limited January 2024 Monthly Factsheet
- Midea RAC Unveils IcyBlast Split AC at Big 5 Construct Saudi, Delivering Fast Cooling Experience
- Carbon credit scheme sees Indigenous Cambodians harassed, evicted: report
Shanghai harvests memes from lockdown veg shortage
Bok choy emojis, clips of Gucci gift bags stuffed with celery and video of drones delivering broccoli -- vegetable memes are the new currency in Shanghai's sardonic social media scene, with the city locked down and pining for greens.
Those navigating the city's thicket of Covid-19 restrictions to go shopping this week found long queues and empty shelves as panic-buying outpaced re-supply.
The online market was a little better stocked, with fresh food apps Hema and Ele.me crashing as early risers refreshed pages the moment stores opened.
The vegetable hysteria was picked up by meme-makers who tickled image-conscious Shanghai with videos of Louis Vuitton boxes holding bok choy instead of luxury items, and clips on Douyin -- China's TikTok -- showing lettuce, cucumber and celery in Gucci gift bags.
Another unverified but widely shared video shows a man delivering a bag of broccoli via drone to a grateful neighbour.
Shanghai authorities have recognised that patience is running thin after three weeks of scattergun lockdowns and restrictions, promising people will have fresh food packages.
State media on Thursday moved to reassure the public that fresh produce would not run out, showing photos of "vegetable planting bases" in the Shanghai suburbs running "round-the-clock" to meet the demand spike.
Fresh food costs tripled in some markets due to panic buying and a lack of delivery drivers.
Residents are growing weary and frustrated at the failure to control the virus outbreak, in which city authorities have warned cases are "rapidly rising".
"It's been much more difficult to buy groceries on Hema," a 42-year-old locked-down Shanghai resident, who gave her name only as Tang, told AFP.
"Some of the things I wanted were not there, and of course the delivery times are much, much longer."
Lockdowns have extended beyond their initial periods and many residents are concerned a positive test could see them swept into state quarantine.
"Our compound had around 20 confirmed cases... We can't go downstairs of our building," said a finance worker locked down in Pudong.
The man, who declined to give his name, said he had received a "package of vegetables, so we don't lack any now".
As the city entered a period of anxiety and confusion over the lattice of lockdown rules, AFP reporters saw people surreptitiously buying vegetables through a gate sealed by police tape, and people hauling groceries up to a balcony on a string.
A stream of the Miami Ultra Music Festival, hosted by Chinese platform TudiMusic, was blitzed with vegetable emojis from Shanghai viewers during replays this week.
TudiMusic said hundreds of thousands of viewers from the city tuned in.