- New Energy Blue launches farmer-owned business to supply clean, sustainable feedstock for its biomass refineries
- Columbus comeback earns MLS Cup final clash with LAFC
- Media Tour Witnesses Chinese Modernization in Hainan FTP
- Maghreb farmers embrace drones to fight climate change
- George lifts Clippers over Warriors, Giannis triple-double fuels Bucks
- 'Ink me up': Iran tattoo artists aim to leave mark
- Israel strikes Gaza as pressure mounts to protect civilians
- Columbus reach MLS Cup final with comeback win over Cincinnati
- German tourist stabbed to death in Paris 'terror' attack
- Haughey wins 100m free in US Open meet record
- Venezuela to hold referendum over Essequibo land dispute with Guyana
- George lifts Clippers to NBA victory over Warriors
- Attacker stabs German tourist to death in Paris
- Australia keep faith with Warner for first Pakistan Test
- SK E&S, strengthening 'Low-Carbon Hydrogen Partnership' at COP28... accelerating global carbon neutrality
- Nice lose unbeaten record as Lens inflict more pain on Lyon
- Taofifenua late try returns beaten Racing to Top 14 summit
- Rodman shines in new-look USA win over China
- Scheffler builds three-shot World Challenge lead, mixed day for Woods
- Newcastle inflict more misery on Man Utd, Arsenal extend Premier League lead
- Rodrygo helps Real Madrid keep pace with Girona in Liga title race
- Newcastle too good for Man Utd despite mounting injury crisis
- Milan beat Frosinone to close gap on leaders Juve
- US Commerce chief warns against China 'threat'
- Guinea-Bissau president calls deadly violence 'attempted coup'
- Masdar to Develop 150MWac Solar Plant in Angola to Power 90,000 Homes and Boost Just Energy Transition
- England ready to handle expectations at Euro 2024, says Southgate
- US defense chief says Israel must shield civilians to win in Gaza
- Peru boosts Machu Picchu access up to 5,600 visitors a day
- Guirassy scores again as Stuttgart beat Bremen
- Rodrygo strikes again as Madrid catch Girona with Granada win
- Italy and Spain to meet in Euro 2024 group stage, England handed kind draw
- Lens inflict more pain on managerless Lyon
- 'Not a group of death': Struggling Germany welcome Euro 2024 draw
- Italy and Spain drawn together in Euro 2024 group stage
- Guinea-Bissau army calls National Guard back to barracks after violence
- Girona 'making history', go top with superb Valencia comeback
- NWTN Celebrates Landmark Collaboration with Autostrad Car Rental Company for Eco-Friendly Transportation
- Heavy snow hits Beaver Creek World Cup ski race again
- Nervy Arsenal extend Premier League lead, Burnley score five
- Herve helps Toulon to Top 14 summit in Biggar absence
- Openda and Poulsen score as Leipzig beat Heidenheim to go fourth
- Burkina, Niger to quit G5 anti-jihadist force
- Germany beat France on penalties to win U-17 World Cup
- Girona top Liga with superb late Valencia comeback
- Grim cycle of death at a hospital in Gaza
- Erdogan weighs in on bank scam involving Turkish stars
- Embark on a Unique Journey with 'Hookah Haze': Human Drama Adventure Fueled by the Spirit of Shisha on Steam® and Nintendo Switch™ in 2024
- Xavi calls on Felix to let Atletico criticism inspire him
- Nations rally behind renewables at COP28 climate talks
Israel's president heads to Greece to calm ally ahead of Turkey visit
Israel's President Isaac Herzog headed to Greece Thursday for a trip experts said marked a chance to reassure an ally as Israel moves closer to Turkey, with tensions fraught between Athens and Ankara.
Herzog holds a largely ceremonial post but has assumed a high-profile diplomatic role under the Israeli government that took office last year.
He is expected to make a rare visit to Turkey next month for talks with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a prominent critic of Israel's policies towards the Palestinians.
But experts said that any Israeli rapprochement with Turkey cannot undermine the Jewish state's ironclad ties with its Mediterranean neighbours, Greece and Cyprus, two states with long-standing acrimony towards Erdogan's Turkey.
On his one-day trip, the Israeli president is due to meet his counterpart Katerina Sakellaropoulou, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, as well as opposition leader and ex-premier Alexis Tsipras.
Oded Eran, a senior researcher at the Tel Aviv university's Institute for National Security Studies, told AFP that while in Athens Herzog must stress that "the attempt to improve relations with Turkey will absolutely not come at the expense of ties with Greece."
Herzog should underscore that Israel wants to "enhance the eastern Mediterranean cooperation," with Cyprus and Greece, added Eran, Israel's former ambassador to the European Union. The president is also due to visit Cyprus next week.
Relations between majority-Muslim Turkey and the Jewish state froze over after the death of 10 civilians in an Israeli raid on a Turkish flotilla carrying aid for the Gaza strip in 2010.
Relations between Israel and Greece have meanwhile deepened over the past decade.
In 2019, Cyprus, Greece, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Italy and the Palestinian territories agreed to create the "East Mediterranean Gas Forum" -- without Turkey.
And in 2020, Israel, Greece and Cyprus signed the EastMed deal for a huge pipeline to ship gas from the eastern Mediterranean to Europe, triggering objections from Ankara.
Eran also noted that Israeli jets that used to conduct drills over Turkey up to 2010 were training in Greek airspace.
An Israeli official who requested anonymity told AFP that "the improvement in the ties with Turkey is not coming at the expense of the very important relations with Greece and Cyprus."