-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Leclerc tops Saudi Arabian GP practice after drivers agree to race
Ferrari's Charles Leclerc outpaced world champion Max Verstappen with a late flying lap in Saturday's final Saudi Arabian Grand Prix practice after drivers agreed to carry on despite an attack on a nearby oil facility.
None of the drivers appeared to be the worse for wear despite lengthy debates overnight about racing in the aftermath of Friday's missile strike by Yemen's Huthi rebels om the Aramco fuel plant, which ignited a blaze with black smoke billowing across the Formula One track.
Leclerc, winner of last weekend's season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix, clocked a best lap of one minute and 29.735 seconds to beat the Dutchman by 0.033 seconds.
Verstappen's Red Bull team-mate Sergio Perez was third, just 0.098 behind, ahead of Carlos Sainz in the second Ferrari and Valtteri Bottas, who was sixth for Alfa Romeo.
Defending champion Verstappen dominated most of the session, but made two errors on his final laps, once clipping a wall before bouncing heavily over a kerb, as he succumbed to over-aggression on the high-speed street track.
In a generally calm session, Esteban Ocon was sixth for Alpine ahead of Pierre Gasly of Alpha Tauri, Kevin Magnussen of Haas, Fernando Alonso in the second Alpine and Yuki Tsunoda of Alpha Tauri.
Seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton struggled again in his Mercedes and wound up 11th with team-mate George Russell 14th as they battled the 'bouncing' again.
On another warm day at the Jeddah Street Circuit, following a short night after four-hour talks between drivers, teams and organisers, Bottas was the first man on track for final free practice.
The Finn, now with Alfa Romeo after leaving Mercedes, has exuded a new-found enthusiasm this season and was soon lapping quickly, but not rapidly enough to outpace the Ferraris of Leclerc and Sainz.
Team principals, race organisers, Formula One and the ruling body, the FIA, had said they had reached a unanimous agreement for the show to go on, in less than an hour, but it took much longer to convince the drivers.
After around three and a half hours of further talks, they agreed to race. In a statement on their behalf, the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) said "natural human concerns" had caused many to have doubts about taking part.
This was confirmed on Saturday morning by Ferrari team chief Mattia Binotto who admitted "I don't think we can say that they are 100 per cent happy and fully relaxed.
"I think they are still concerned, but they are listening to the assurances that we give them, the understanding of the importance to stay here and somehow try to race because it's the best choice we can do.
"After that long discussion, (which) it was important to have, they simply understood and supported that it was important to stay and remain and continue the weekend and drive here in Saudi.
- 'Safe and under control' -
"By leaving the country, it would not have been simply the right choice and there were no right reasons to leave here, to leave the country after all the assurances we had got.
"I think they met. They had their own concerns and raised them, but all together we tried to get the assurances and got the right explanation as well."
Aston Martin team boss Mike Krack added that the Saudi authorities and security had helped convince drivers "that everything would be safe and under control".
In a joint statement, F1 and the FIA confirmed they had received "detailed assurances that the event is secure."
Binotto added: "It was a long night, but first, let's focus on the facts. It is never great to see what has happened, but we know that it is not the first time it has happened in this country or in this area.
"If there is any reason why we are here it is to get [across] a positive message and that is our duty. It is our task and by being here it is what we need to really try to do."
G.Schulte--BTB