-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
Nazi camp memorial says Russian officials unwelcome at ceremony
The memorial at the former Nazi concentration camp Buchenwald said Tuesday that "official representatives" of Russia and Belarus were not invited to ceremonies marking the 77th anniversary of its liberation next month.
The war in Ukraine is overshadowing the commemoration, "in particular the violent death of Boris Romantschenko", a camp survivor who was killed by Russian shelling that struck his flat in the city of Kharkiv, the Buchenwald and Mittelbau-Dora Memorials Foundation said.
"Official representatives of Russia and Belarus are not welcome at the ceremonies this year," the Foundation said in a statement, adding that the two countries' embassies in Berlin had been informed of the decision.
It said that the ceremony on April 10 would pay special tribute to Romantschenko, a prisoner of four different Nazi camps during World War II who was killed at his home on March 18.
Romantschenko, who died aged 96, worked for decades to educate others about the horrors of the Nazi era and had been vice president of the Buchenwald-Dora International Committee survivors group.
At the Buchenwald liberation anniversary ceremony in 2015, he had called for a struggle to create a "world of peace and freedom".
The Foundation said that rather than including officials from Russia or Belarus, it would invite representatives of Ukrainian and Russian "civil society" to pay tribute to camp victims from the former Soviet Union.
Fifteen survivors from Germany, Canada, France, Israel, Poland, Romania, Switzerland, Hungary and the United States are also expected to attend the event, cancelled the last two years due to the pandemic.
- Food donations -
The Foundation noted that 30 German remembrance groups had founded an aid network to assist survivors of Nazi persecution in Ukraine, given that many were in "existential danger" in the face of the Russian invasion.
It plans to deliver donations of food and medicine and offer practical help to survivors fleeing Ukraine by picking them up from the Ukrainian border or finding them accommodation in Germany.
There are still some 42,000 survivors of Nazi crimes living in Ukraine, according to the aid network.
More than 76,000 men, women and children died at Buchenwald and the Mittelbau-Dora satellite camp during World War II. They were either killed by the Nazis or perished through illness, cold or starvation.
Thousands of Jews were among the dead, but also Roma and Sinti, and political opponents of the Nazis, gays and Soviet prisoners of war.
US forces liberated the camp in 1945.
J.Horn--BTB