-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
'We live here now': villagers flee in Russian-occupied Ukraine
When a group of Russian soldiers burst into Valerii Koriachenko's home in a village east of Kyiv, they told him his house and all his belongings were now theirs, down to his socks and underwear.
"They took the rifle off safety and 'politely asked' us to go wherever we wanted, and said they were living there now," said the 50-year-old baker, his bottom lip trembling with emotion.
While Moscow claims to be scaling down attacks around Kyiv, Ukrainian civilians fleeing villages east of the capital say Russian forces are still carrying out a brutal occupation.
On Tuesday, Koriachenko queued for aid outside a Soviet-era municipal building in the town of Brovary, 20 kilometres (12 miles) from central Kyiv, that has become a local centre for refugees.
Koriachenko says he escaped his village in Brovary district with his wife, children and parents-in-law after Russian troops brought a mortar into their garden and started firing at Ukrainian forces.
Ukraine has won a handful of victories in villages and towns around Kyiv as it pushes back Russian forces who have tried to encircle the capital since the invasion on February 24.
Hopes rose further after Russian Deputy Defence Minister Alexander Fomin said Tuesday that Moscow would "radically" reduce the military activity Kyiv and the northern city of Chernigiv.
- 'Kick out these enemies' -
But as a pair of battered buses escorted by police arrived in Brovary on Tuesday carrying displaced people from the village of Rudnytske 50 kilometres east, it was clear that the occupation is far from over.
One woman wearing a pink baseball cap cradled a brown and white cat in her blue coat as she stared out of the window of the bus -- one of the only things she was able to salvage.
Bewildered and exhausted, the displaced civilians trooped out of the buses in driving rain and were packed into a canvas tent, where they were offered hot drinks and snacks.
Nearby, Yulia, who fled Shevchenkove village 25 kilometres from Brovary, sobbed with rage at the Russian invaders, while her daughter Viktoria, six, blew bubbles with bubble mixture given to her by volunteers.
"It’s just terrible now. When I fled, I ran through the fields," she said, asking to be identified by her first name.
"Gas, electricity, it’s not a problem. The problem is that they (Russian soldiers) are in the village. They simply take over peoples’ homes and live there, they take peoples’ cars and plunder the garages."
She added: "I call to you, the whole world, wake up. Help us kick out these enemies."
- 'Ukraine will win' -
A dormitory town for Kyiv with a brutalist central square and a statue of a MiG fighter jet, Brovary's place some 15 kilometres from the frontline has turned it into a centre for refugees.
At a huge food collection facility seen during a press trip organised by the Ukrainian government, volunteers collected food donated by European countries and sent it on to smaller distribution points.
Some of the windows of the centre were smashed by a Russian rocket.
Ukrainian officials also showed the charred wreckage of a warehouse storing thousands of tonnes of food, which they say was destroyed by a Russian missile strike.
As firefighters cleared the wreckage, an emergency services official claimed Russian forces were deliberately targeting food supplies.
Brovary Mayor Igor Sapozhko said that several other food warehouses in the area were also targeted, but he insists Russian forces will not break his country's spirits.
"Ukraine will win. There’s no other way," he said.
M.Ouellet--BTB