-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
Israel's Bennett warns of terror 'wave' after shooting rampage
Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett warned of a "wave of murderous Arab terrorism" ahead of funerals Wednesday for two of five people killed in a shooting rampage in an ultra-religious Jewish town.
The shooting in Bnei Brak, a coastal town outside Tel Aviv, of four civilians and a police officer was the third fatal gun or knife attack in the Jewish state in the past week.
"An attacker armed with an assault rifle opened fire on civilians on HaShnayim Street in Bnei Brak, leaving several civilians in fatal conditions," Israeli police said.
"From there he moved to Herzl Street, opened fire on civilians, and was neutralized by police force," they said in a statement.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
But Israeli media said the perpetrator was a Palestinian from the Israeli-occupied West Bank, who had spent four years in the Jewish state's prisons, identifying him as Diaa Hamarshah.
Bennett, who heads an ideologically disparate coalition government ranging from Jewish nationalists to Arabs, said the country was "facing a wave of murderous Arab terrorism".
The Israeli leader would convene an emergency meeting with top security officials on Wednesday to review the situation.
Police said its forces were put on the highest level of alert, and the army said it would deploy extra units in and around the West Bank.
"We unfortunately have to note that five people have died," said Eli Bin, head of the Magen David Adom emergency responders.
- 'Condemned by all' -
Those killed were identified as Yaakov Shalom, 36, and Avishai Yehezkel, 29, both ultra-Orthodox residents of Bnei Brak, and Amir Khoury, 32, an Arab Christian policeman from Nof Hagalil who had responded to the attack.
The two other people slain were reported to be foreigners.
The funerals of Yehezkel and Shalom are to take place on Wednesday morning.
Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas, who is based in the West Bank, issued a rare condemnation of the attacks.
"The killing of Palestinian and Israeli civilians will only lead to further deterioration of the situation, while we are all striving for stability," he said in a statement carried by Wafa news agency.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned the "terrorist attack", calling the recent spate of violence "unacceptable".
UN chief Antonio Guterres' spokesman said he "condemns the recent terrorist attacks in Israel".
"Such acts of violence can never be justified and must be condemned by all," the spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, said in a statement.
Tuesday's shooting is the third deadly attack in Israel in a week, bringing the combined death toll to 11, excluding perpetrators.
- Spate of attacks -
A shooting on Sunday killed two Israeli police officers -- identified as Shirel Aboukrat, a French-Israeli citizen, and Yezen Falah -- in the northern city of Hadera.
That assault was later claimed by the Islamic State group -- the jihadists' first claim of an attack on Israeli territory since 2017.
Israeli police had said the two perpetrators of the Hadera attack were killed at the scene.
Hamas, the Islamic Palestinian movement that rules the Gaza Strip, praised Sunday's attack as a "natural and legitimate response" to Israeli "crimes against our people".
It was also welcomed by the Gaza-based Islamic Jihad militant group and Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah movement.
Sunday's attack coincided with a landmark meeting bringing together Israel's foreign minister with those of four Arab countries with ties to the Jewish state, as well as Blinken.
Last week, a convicted IS sympathiser killed four Israelis in a stabbing and car-ramming attack in the southern city of Beersheba.
The attacks near Tel Aviv come as Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz visits Jordan, where he met King Abdullah II in a bid to ensure calm in the Palestinian territories during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Tensions flared last year during the fasting month, which starts in April, between Israeli forces and Palestinians visiting Al-Aqsa mosque in annexed east Jerusalem, feeding into 11 days of armed conflict between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
Jordan's king called on Gantz to "lift all obstacles that could prevent (Muslims) from performing prayers" at Al-Aqsa and "prevent any provocations that could lead to escalation".
H.Seidel--BTB