-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
Israel mourns 5 shot dead by Palestinian, PM warns of terror 'wave'
Israelis on Wednesday mourned five people killed by a Palestinian gunman, the third deadly attack in a week, as Prime Minister Naftali Bennett warned of a "wave of murderous Arab terrorism".
"The pain is great," Bennett wrote on Twitter as several victims were laid to rest, police forces were placed on the highest alert and the army said it would deploy extra units in and around the West Bank.
The shooter, Diaa Armashah, 27, from the West Bank village of Yabad, opened fire on Tuesday evening with an M-16 assault rifle in Bnei Brak, a mostly Jewish Orthodox city near Tel Aviv, police said.
Armashah killed two Ukrainian men and two Israeli civilians before police confronted him, authorities said. An Arab-Israeli officer died in the ensuing gunfight that also killed the assailant.
"It's painful. It's your neighbours," said resident Shlomo Alperin, 23. He told AFP he had seen two dead men outside a nearby minimarket and a local man he recognised slumped, dead, in his car.
Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas issued a rare condemnation, saying the killings "will only lead to further deterioration of the situation, while we are all striving for stability".
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned the "terrorist attack" while a spokesman for UN chief Antonio Guterres's said "such acts of violence can never be justified and must be condemned by all".
Ismail Haniyeh, leader of the Islamist Hamas group that rules the Gaza Strip, however praised the "heroic operation" as "legitimate and moral valiant resistance to end the occupation".
Police Wednesday said they had arrested a West Bank Palestinian suspect for posting videos on TikTok "identifying with the terror attack in Bnei Brak" and an 18-year-old Israeli citizen from the Bedouin city of Rahat on suspicion of supporting the Islamic State group.
- 'Heinous terrorist attack' -
As one of the Israeli civilians, Avishai Yehezkel, 29, was laid to rest in Bnei Brak, his relative David Numa remembered him as a young yeshiva student and family man.
"He got married about a year and a half ago," Numa told AFP. "He has a two-year-old son and his wife is eight months pregnant."
Yaakov Shalom, 36, of Bnei Brak and Amir Khoury, 32, an Arab Christian policeman from Nof Hagalil, also perished in Tuesday's attack.
Bennett tweeted a salute to Khoury, saying he "sacrificed himself heroically to save human lives, leaving behind a grieving and wounded family".
The Ukrainian embassy condemned the "heinous terrorist attack" without immediately naming its two nationals, men aged 23 and 32.
Israel was home to around 15,000 Ukrainians before Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24. It has since received nearly 20,000 refugees from Ukraine, an interior ministry spokeswoman said.
A Ukrainian diplomatic source told AFP the men killed were workers who had been in Israel for several years.
Yehezkel and Shalom were buried Wednesday, while Khoury was set to be laid to rest in Nazareth on Thursday.
- Spate of attacks -
"Israel is facing a wave of murderous Arab terrorism," said Bennett, whose disparate coalition government ranges from Jewish nationalists to Arabs.
Tuesday's shooting brings to 11 the total death toll from attacks in Israel over the past week, excluding the perpetrators.
On Sunday, two gunmen killed two Israeli police officers -- identified as Shirel Aboukrat, a French-Israeli citizen, and Druze Israeli Yezen Falah -- in the northern city of Hadera.
That assault by Arab citizens of Israel was later claimed by the Islamic State group -- the jihadists' first claim of an attack on Israeli territory since 2017.
Israeli police said the two assailants were killed on the scene.
Hamas praised that attack, as did the Gaza-based Islamic Jihad militant group and Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah movement.
Sunday's attack coincided with a landmark meeting between Israel's foreign minister and those of four Arab countries with ties to the Jewish state, as well as Blinken.
Last week, a convicted IS sympathiser killed four Israelis in a stabbing and car-ramming attack in the southern city of Beersheba.
The latest attack came as Defence Minister Benny Gantz visited Jordan's King Abdullah II to discuss ways to ensure calm in the Palestinian territories during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Tensions flared last year during the fasting month, leading to 11 days of heavy armed conflict between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
O.Bulka--BTB