-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
First aid convoy in three months to enter Ethiopia's Tigray soon: UN
The first international aid convoy in three months will soon enter Ethiopia's war-stricken Tigray region, the UN said on Friday, one week after the government and Tigrayan rebels agreed to a conditional truce.
The arrival of aid in Tigray, where hundreds of thousands of people face starvation, could help shore up the shaky ceasefire between Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's government and the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF).
Abiy's government last week declared an indefinite humanitarian truce in the 17-month conflict, with the TPLF agreeing to a "cessation of hostilities" if aid arrives in Tigray.
"WFP-led convoys to Tigray are back on the road & making steady progress!" the UN's World Food Programme (WFP) said on Twitter.
"Just arrived in Erepti (in the neighbouring Afar region) & will soon cross into Tigray, bringing in over 500 mt (tonnes) of urgently needed WFP/partner food & nutrition supplies for communities on edge of starvation."
The TPLF said the 20 aid trucks were now in territory under its control in Afar and on their way to Tigray's capital, Mekele.
"This is one good step in the right direction; the bottom line, though, isn't about how many trucks are allowed but whether there is a system in place to ensure unfettered humanitarian access for the needy!" TPLF spokesman Getachew Reda said on Twitter.
He told AFP in Nairobi that it was likely that the aid convoy would take "a few hours" to reach Mekele as the trucks may have to refuel.
- 'Extreme lack of food' -
The development comes just days after both sides accused each other of blocking an aid convoy headed for Tigray, which has not seen any humanitarian supplies arrive by road since December 15.
Nearly 40 percent of Tigray's population face "an extreme lack of food," the UN said in January, with fuel shortages forcing aid workers to deliver medicines and other crucial supplies sometimes by foot.
Since mid-February, humanitarian operations in Tigray, where more than 400,000 people have been displaced by the conflict, have been virtually halted due to local shortages of fuel, food and cash, according to the United Nations.
Tigray has also been subject to what the UN says is a de-facto blockade.
The United States has accused Abiy's government of preventing aid from reaching those in need, while the authorities in turn have blamed the rebels for the obstruction.
Both sides have issued demands in connection with the truce.
The government has called on the rebels to "desist from all acts of further aggression and withdraw from areas they have occupied in" Afar and Amhara regions.
The rebels have in turn urged the Ethiopian authorities "to go beyond empty promises and take concrete steps to facilitate unfettered humanitarian access to Tigray."
The conflict erupted in November 2020 when Abiy sent troops into Tigray to topple the TPLF, the region's former ruling party, saying the move came in response to rebel attacks on army camps.
Thousands of people have died as fighting has dragged on, while accounts have emerged of massacres and mass rapes, with both sides accused of human rights violations.
A.Gasser--BTB