-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Palestinian probe finds Shireen Abu Akleh 'murdered' by Israeli soldier
An Al Jazeera journalist shot dead in the occupied West Bank earlier this month was murdered by an Israeli soldier in a "war crime", the official Palestinian investigation concluded Thursday.
The Palestinian Authority (PA) and Al Jazeera have blamed Israeli forces for Shireen Abu Akleh's killing on the morning of May 11, when she was covering an Israeli army operation in Jenin camp in the north of the West Bank.
Israeli authorities have countered that Abu Akleh could have been killed by stray fire from a Palestinian gunman in the area or mistakenly by an Israeli soldier.
All "proven facts constitute the elements of the crime of murder... according to national laws, they are a war crime and a violation of international laws," said PA attorney general Akram Al-Khateeb, who presented the Palestinian investigation's findings.
The Palestinian-American journalist, who was wearing a vest marked "Press" and a helmet, was killed after being hit by a bullet just below her helmet.
The report said Abu Akleh was killed with a 5.56 millimetre armour piercing round fired from a Ruger Mini-14 rifle.
The report also said that bullet holes on a nearby tree indicated the "targeting of the upper parts of the body with the aim of killing."
"All of these facts: the type of projectile, the weapon, the distance, the fact that there were no obstructions to vision and that she was wearing a press jacket lead us to conclude that (Shireen) Abu Akleh was the target of a murder," Khateeb concluded.
"The only source of fire was the Israeli occupation forces," he said.
Senior PA official Hussein al-Sheikh said a copy of the report had been sent to US authorities, while copies would also be given to Abu Akleh's family and Al Jazeera.
A CNN report published this week, disputed by Israel, also pointed to a deliberate killing, citing the impacts on the tree.
"The number of strike marks on the tree where Shireen was standing proves this wasn't a random shot, she was targeted," Chris Cobb-Smith, an explosive weapons expert, told the US news network.
Israeli authorities were quick to decry the Palestinian report's conclusions, with Defence Minister Benny Gantz saying the Israeli army would never target journalists.
"Any claim that the IDF intentionally harms journalists or uninvolved civilians, is a blatant lie," he said in a statement, referring to the Israeli Defence Forces.
"Despite the Israeli side reaching out repeatedly, the Palestinians refuse to cooperate, which raises the question (of) if they really want to reach the truth," he said.
Palestinian authorities had refused to hand the bullet over to Israeli authorities for further investigation, citing a lack of trust.
Gantz also hit out at CNN Thursday.
"Attempts to charge IDF soldiers with war crimes while promoting false assessments such as the one published by CNN, undermine the ability to achieve peace and stability in the region, while ultimately boosting terrorism," he said.
Y.Bouchard--BTB