-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
Under-threat UK PM Starmer to attempt reset after disastrous polls
Beleaguered British Prime Minister Keir Starmer will attempt a reset on Monday, as he faces a growing threat to his leadership following disastrous local and regional polls.
In a speech, his office said he will acknowledge that "incremental change won't cut it" with an increasingly disgruntled public, promising "a bigger response" in areas such as economic growth, closer European ties and energy.
On Sunday, his Education Minister Bridget Phillipson said a leadership contest was not the answer as Labour licks its wounds from last week's election drubbing.
Starmer himself signalled that he hoped to stay in power until 2034.
But several Labour lawmakers made it clear they believed it was time for him to go.
Former junior minister Catherine West announced that if a cabinet minister did not challenge Starmer by Monday, she would try to kickstart a leadership contest herself -- a move that could open the door to others.
Such a move would also likely spark a damaging bout of infighting as MPs from the left and right of the party battled to position their preferred candidate or shore up Starmer.
- 'Lost the country' -
Under party rules, any challenger would need the support of 81 Labour MPs -- 20 percent of the party in parliament -- to trigger a contest.
Another lawmaker, former loyalist Josh Simons, urged Starmer to step down, saying he had "lost the country".
A third, veteran MP Clive Betts, said there had "to be a way to actually bring in a new leader in a proper and constructive manner in the next few months".
The election results were particularly tough for Labour in Wales, where they lost control of the devolved government for the first time since the parliament in Cardiff was established 27 years ago.
Elsewhere, they lost nearly 1,500 local council seats while the anti-immigration Reform UK party surged from less than 100 to over 1,400 seats under Brexit figurehead leader Nigel Farage.
In Scotland, leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP) John Swinney called for another independence referendum to shield the nation from a future Reform government.
The polls came less than two years after Starmer swept to power in a landslide general election victory, ending 14 years of Conservative rule.
Starmer, 63, has swerved from one policy misstep to another since then, and is engulfed in a scandal over the appointment -- and sacking -- of Peter Mandelson as UK ambassador to Washington, after revelations about the envoy's ties to the sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
The prime minister has failed to spur economic growth as British citizens continue to feel the effects of a years-long cost-of-living pinch, but has been praised for resisting US President Donald Trump over Iran.
- 'Decade of renewal' -
Before last Thursday's polls, the British press had been awash with rumours that former deputy prime minister Angela Rayner or Health Minister Wes Streeting could try to oust Starmer afterwards.
But neither is universally popular within Labour and would need to be nominated by a high threshold of the party's MPs to fire the starting gun on a leadership contest.
Rayner on Sunday stopped short of calling for Starmer to quit but said the current strategy "isn't working and it needs to change".
"This may be our last chance... The prime minister must now meet the moment and set out the change our country needs," she wrote on X.
Another much-touted possible contender, Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, is currently unable to challenge as he does not have a seat in parliament.
The lack of consensus has led to speculation that there could be a move behind a so-called unity candidate like Defence Secretary John Healey or Armed Forces minister Al Carns.
The absence of an obvious successor means Starmer could still hold on.
There has also been reluctance in the party to replace him after the Conservatives went through three prime ministers in four months in 2022.
Starmer himself has repeatedly resolved to stay put.
Questioned over whether he would lead Labour at the next election, expected in 2029 at the latest, and serve a full term of up to five years, he told the Sunday Mirror: "Yes, I will."
"I've always said it's a decade of national renewal," he added.
O.Lorenz--BTB