- US stocks, dollar gain after strong jobs data
- French court convicts six teens for role in beheading of teacher
- Deforestation hits record low in Brazilian Amazon in November
- Messi has brought 'transformational year' for MLS says Garber
- Gatti strikes again to send Juventus top
- France's Le Pen ordered to stand trial in EU funding scandal
- Life sentence for Michigan teen who shot dead four classmates
- US vetoes Security Council resolution calling for Gaza ceasefire
- US vetoes UN ceasefire bid as battles rage across Gaza
- Frenchman Nancy's journey reaches MLS summit
- Led by Taylor Swift's $1 bn tour, 2023 concerts set new record
- Mexico leader proposes referendum on bull fighting in capital
- Battles rage across Gaza as UN holds rare vote
- DAY TWO OF HONG KONG INVESTOR SUMMIT TACKLES MEGATRENDS IMPACTING THE PLANET'S EIGHT BILLION CITIZENS
- 'Appetite for drumsticks': First prey found in a tyrannosaur stomach
- Oil at the root of Guyana-Venezuela border row
- US, UK, Canada sanction dozens on human rights anniversary
- Pope prays for victims of oppression at Christian festival
- The Pogues singer-songwriter Shane MacGowan given full Irish send-off
- USA and Mexico submit bid to host 2027 Women's World Cup
- Stellantis warns thousands in US of potential job cuts
- Real Madrid boss Ancelotti expecting Vinicius to return in January
- Spurs won't compromise on attacking football, says Postecoglou
- Rent-a-tree firm helps Londoners have a sustainable Christmas
- Harvard president apologizes for remarks on campus anti-Semitism
- Wall Street stocks shrug off strong jobs data
- Hamas brutality doesn't justify 'punishment' of Palestinians: UN chief
- Rent-a-tree firm helps Londoners have a sustaintable Christmas
- From Obiang to Putin: the world's longest-serving leaders
- Department of Defense Awards 6K Additive a $23.4 million Grant as Part of a More Than $50 Million Investment Program for Upcycling Critical Metals for...
- Battles rage across Gaza ahead of rare UN vote
- OrangeX Unveils $5M Innovation Fund, Accelerating Support for Bitcoin Ecosystem Growth
- UN Security Council meets on escalating Guyana-Venezuela row
- US unemployment ticks down as job market remains robust
- Hamas brutality can't justify 'collective punishment' of Palestinians: UN chief
- Pochettino says pressure at Chelsea is 'massive' but future bright
- The 2023 Global Investment Promotion Conference Held in Shenzhen, China
- UN talks look for deal on winding down fossil fuels
- Guardiola says Man City have been handed brutal reality check
- HH Global discloses environmental impact through CDP
- IOC clears Russians to compete in Paris as neutrals
- Pensana Plc - Report on Payments to Governments for FY 2023
- Once the bane of big tech, Vestager's star wanes
- Strong US jobs data weakens Wall Street stocks
- New trains, new tracks: US rail to get much-needed facelift
- Meinhardt MENA, Innovo, and Schneider Electric Join Forces to Drive Sustainable Energy Practices in the UAE
- US unemployment ticks down as hiring accelerates
- Miami International Holdings Reports November 2023 Trading Results; YTD Options and Equities Volumes Remain at Record Levels
- Krispy Kreme doughnuts, the latest US chain to try its luck in France
- Third Point Investors Ltd - Weekly Estimate Net Asset Value - December 2023
Shiffrin crashes out, won't win individual medal in Beijing
Mikaela Shiffrin will leave the Beijing Games without an individual medal after dramatically crashing out of the slalom section of the alpine combined event on Thursday.
It was a third failure to finish in China for the fancied two-time Olympic gold medallist after she skied out of both the slalom and giant slalom.
Shiffrin lasted longer than the five gates she negotiated in the two technical races before sliding out, but not by much.
Forcing the edges of her skis, the 26-year-old American went wide on one turn and, as hard as she battled, could not correct her trajectory.
She was left looking back up the "Ice River" course shaking her head in the knowledge that she would not add to golds she had won in the slalom at the 2014 Sochi Olympics and giant slalom four years later in Pyeongchang.
Shiffrin's exits from her favoured slalom and giant slalom here were the first time since 2011 -- when she was making her World Cup season debut at the age of 16 -- that she had failed to finish in two back-to-back technical races.
Those failures left her questioning her self-belief, but she vowed not to shed any tears because it was a "waste of energy", showing admirable humility and renewed determination to take part in all five individual events as well as Saturday's programme-ending mixed team parallel.
Before competition started, Shiffrin admitted she would be disappointed to leave the Beijing Olympics without a medal, but also warned it was impossible to have two "perfect weeks" at a Games.