-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
Turkmenistan readies for father-son succession during polls
Authoritarian Turkmenistan is quietly preparing for a father-son power transition during a presidential election on Saturday as the world reels and markets jangle over Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Nine candidates are contesting the ballot, but few doubt that strongman Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov's 40-year-old son Serdar -- who has pledged to continue his father's course -- will take over the hermit country's top job.
Berdymukhamedov senior, who is Turkmenistan's president, chair of the cabinet and senate chief, has been the regime's top decision-maker for the last 15 years.
The 64-year-old leader announced last month that he would step down to allow "young leaders" to govern. He has said however that he will remain in politics as head of the senate, a position that is second to the presidency.
Berdymukhamedov senior took power in 2006, after the death of Saparmurat Niyazov, the so-called "Father of the Turkmen", whose rule created the blueprint for repression and leadership cults in the country of six million people.
Both men are feted with golden statues in Ashgabat, a capital city of one million people dominated by marble-coated buildings.
Elsewhere in the city, statues of Russia and Ukraine's legendary wordsmiths Alexander Pushkin and Taras Shevchenko stand just 50 metres (55 yards) apart.
But government-controlled media have completely blanked the two-week-old conflict, Europe's biggest since World War II.
With internet slow and many foreign news websites blocked, Turkmen citizens turn to satellite dishes in order to access international news, although authorities crack down on them, too.
Oraz, a 66-year-old pensioner who only gave his first name, said he was aware of fighting in Ukraine.
"We worry for our brotherly nations that lived (for) hundreds of years in peace. We hope there will be peace again!" he said.
- 'Father close by' -
State television's fawning celebrations of Berdymukhamedov's hobbies -- horse riding, songwriting and rally car driving to name a few -- have made the strongman a phenomenon on foreign social media, all of which are blocked in the country.
But Ashgabat residents interviewed by AFP admitted that they know little about his son, whose rise through government only began receiving publicity after he won a lawmaker's seat in 2016.
Civil servant Selbi Nepesova, 39, said Serdar Berdymukhamedov's official biography proves he is "the most experienced" of the candidates, despite being younger than his rivals, most of whom are low-ranking government employees.
"People who worked with him know more about him than us simple folk," Nepesova told AFP. "He will have his father close by."
In recent years he has tried out roles including deputy foreign minister and a regional governor.
Last year came his biggest promotion of all as he rose to deputy chair of the cabinet and a member of the security council, effectively becoming second-in-command.
Ruslan Myatiev, editor of the Europe-based independent Turkmen.news website, told AFP that as yet unspecified changes to the constitution promised by the outgoing president may see greater powers given to the legislature "in case something goes wrong with Serdar".
The election is not expected to affect the country's neutral foreign policy, which was honed under Niyazov and maintained by Berdymukhamedov.
Turkmenistan traditionally "keeps silence in international crises", including over the war in Ukraine, said Myatiev, who noted that 270 Turkmen students were returning to Turkmenistan on an evacuation flight from Bucharest on Wednesday after fleeing Ukraine.
- 'Big responsibility' -
Serdar Berdymukhamedov has called his presidential run "a big responsibility not only for me, but also for the entire young generation brought up over the years of independence".
Residents in Ashgabat said they hoped for positive changes in an economy that has struggled to recover from the 2014 oil price crash and remains strongly dependent on Chinese demand for natural gas.
Guvanch Ilyasov, a 36-year-old businessman, said he wanted an end to the ban on foreign currency exchange that went into effect after the price crash.
"It has made life difficult for businesses that used to buy products and equipment abroad," Ilyasov said.
Yulia Krasnova, a 58-year-old pensioner, said she yearned for regular flights out of Turkmenistan, which were halted at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic -- the government has not acknowledged a single case of the disease -- and have not resumed.
"This is what I am dreaming of," said Krasnova, who wants to visit her daughter and grandchildren in Russia.
J.Fankhauser--BTB