-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Ecuador's president survives impeachment vote as talks to end protests falter
Ecuador's president survived an impeachment vote on Tuesday, as negotiations to end more than two weeks of cost-of-living protests by Indigenous groups were suspended following the death of a soldier.
The opposition-led congress had sought to remove right-wing President Guillermo Lasso over "the serious political crisis and internal commotion" caused by the protests.
But the motion garnered only 80 of the 92 votes needed, according to results read aloud by the parliament's secretary, Alvaro Salazar, in a virtual session broadcast on social media.
"In spite of the coup attempts, today the country’s institutions prevailed," Lasso said after the vote. "It is evident who works for the political mafias. Meanwhile, we continue to work for Ecuador."
Earlier in the day, Lasso had accused Indigenous protest leader Leonidas Iza of self-serving politics, saying: "We will not negotiate with those who hold Ecuador hostage."
Iza's powerful Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (Conaie), in turn, accused the government of "authoritarianism," and said Lasso would bear the consequences for "his hawkish policy."
On Tuesday morning, the military said a soldier died and five police and seven soldiers were injured in an attack on a tanker truck escort in the country's east.
It said a group armed with "spears and guns" attacked uniformed personnel protecting an early-morning convoy of tankers headed for the so-called ITT block of oil fields in Orellana province, where more than a billion barrels are stored.
Interior Minister Patricio Carillo expressed condolences to the family of fallen soldier Jose Chimarro in a tweet, and described the attackers as "violent demonstrators."
A second day of talks with Indigenous representatives scheduled for Tuesday morning failed to get under way as negotiators from the government did not show up.
Mediator Virgilio Saquicela, president of the National Assembly, announced that the government was "not present" as it was "conducting an analysis" of the early-morning events.
- 'Brutal attack' -
Iza referred to a "brutal attack" but said there was no proof protesters were responsible.
"The country has witnessed all the efforts we have made to establish a fruitful and sincere dialogue," Lasso, a former banker who took office just over a year ago, said earlier in the day.
"But we will not sit down again to dialogue with Leonidas Iza, who only defends his political interests and not those of his base."
"Only when there are legitimate representatives of all the peoples and nationalities of Ecuador, who seek real solutions and are open to real and frank dialogue, will we return to the table of dialogue," Lasso added.
Tuesday's fatality came on top of five demonstrators dead and hundreds of civilians and security personnel wounded in clashes between the security forces and protesters blockading key roads and disrupting supply lines.
Some 150 people have been arrested, according to observers.
Crude is the South American country's main export, but production has been halved from about 520,000 barrels per day prior to the protests, the government said.
Operations at more than 1,100 wells have been affected.
An estimated 14,000 protesters are taking part in a nationwide show of discontent against rising hardship in an economy dealt a serious blow by the coronavirus pandemic.
Conaie, which called the protest, is credited with unseating three presidents between 1997 and 2005.
Indigenous people make up more than a million of the South American nation's 17.7 million people.
Most of the demonstrators' ire is concentrated in the capital Quito, where some 10,000 people are gathered, most of them from other parts of the country.
Other than fuel price cuts, the protesters want jobs, food price controls, and more public spending on healthcare and education.
- Economic cost -
The action has been costly, with losses of some $50 million per day to the economy, according to the government, which has warned oil production could come to a complete halt soon.
Ecuador's economy is highly dependent on oil revenues, with 65 percent of output exported in the first four months of 2022.
Protesters have set up roadblocks in most of the country's 24 provinces, hampering the delivery of food and flowers -- another key export -- and dealing a blow to tourism.
On Sunday, Lasso announced a 10-cents-per-gallon reduction in diesel and gasoline prices, but this was deemed insufficient by Conaie.
The president has also lifted a state of emergency that had been in place in six provinces and a night-time curfew in Quito.
After the concessions, the two sides met for the first time Monday for talks on ending the protest.
Y.Bouchard--BTB