-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
McLaren driver Lando Norris won pole position for Sunday's Dutch Grand Prix, the current world champion pipping Mercedes rivals George Russell and Kimi Antonelli into second and third place.
The British driver set a time of one minute and 11.163 seconds, 0.102 seconds faster than compatriot Russell, to take a critical advantage into the Grand Prix race on Sunday.
"Best lap of my life," said a pumped-up Norris, who had earlier complained his McLaren was lacking pace after being beaten into third in the sprint race earlier Saturday.
"I just had to commit through everything because I knew how close it was going to be," added the 26-year-old, who is enjoying a run of good form having won the Hungarian Grand Prix before the summer break.
Russell had been the quickest driver all weekend but was forced into second place on the grid on the last qualifying lap that was affected by light rain.
"I was on a very strong lap, to be honest. And then I just had a small oversteer in turn eight" that cost him the vital tenth of a second, said Russell.
World championship leader Antonelli will start from third on the grid, ruing a difficult qualifying session with an error in turn one costing him a few crucial tenths of a second.
The teenage sensation set the pace in the first half of the season, winning six races, including a stunning run of five consecutive Grand Prix.
But the chasing pack has closed in fast, with McLaren in particular bringing upgrades to their car that have brought them into contention.
"It was a very good wake-up call this weekend that you can never lower your guard," said Antonelli, who turns 20 next week.
Oscar Piastri, who took the chequered flag last year at Zandvoort, qualified fourth, ahead of the two Ferraris driven by Charles Leclerc and seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton.
Despite raucous home support, local favourite Max Verstappen was unable to make an impact and will start seventh on the grid.
- 'Real fight' -
Sunday's race promises to be a nail-biter, with just a few tenths of a second separating the top four or five drivers.
Starting on pole however will be a major advantage for Norris.
Since Zandvoort returned to the Grand Prix calendar in 2021, the pole-setter has won every time given the difficulty of overtaking on the unique track.
"We have a real fight on our hands these days," said Russell after triumphing in the sprint.
"I think that's quite fun and that's how Formula One should be. It shouldn't just be two teammates going for race wins week in week out. Everybody should be in with a shot," he added.
Ferrari will also challenge on Sunday. Leclerc overhauled Norris in the sprint and Hamilton will be aiming to take a chunk out of Antonelli's 53-point championship lead.
McLaren, who have won here for the past two editions, will also be in the mix and it would be a brave punter who rules out four-time world champion Max Verstappen -- especially not at his "home" Grand Prix.
The "orange army" roaring him on will hope he can produce a miracle in his Red Bull that has been off the pace so far this season.
Sunday's Grand Prix will be the last edition for the Dutch since the Zandvoort circuit.
Despite attracting big crowds eager to see Verstappen, promoters have pulled the plug, saying the financial risks were too great.
Fears that Verstappen, who has made little secret of his dislike of the 2026 regulations, could quit the sport played a part in the decision to pull the plug on Zandvoort.
But ironically, as the teams were setting up for the last Dutch Grand Prix, Verstappen announced he had extended his contract with Red Bull until 2030, guaranteeing his future and Dutch interest in the sport.
O.Lorenz--BTB