- Project update Vestmanna: Dragon 12 functionality verified and power production performance satisfactory and as projected
- Abandoned Red Sea ship remains afloat, to be towed to Djibouti: operator
- 'Haunted' ChatGPT cranks out gibberish for hours
- Finnish digital neobank opens in Sweden and raises the interest rates on fixed-term deposits to a new level
- Kewell's Yokohama spearhead challengers to champions Kobe in J-League
- DRUID Announces a 2.2X Increase in ARR for 2023
- Dryad Networks Selects EchoStar Mobile Satellite IoT Solution for Fire Prevention Service
- Silent Eight Announces Expansion of Partnership with HSBC To Provide Transaction Screening Solutions
- LenioBio Appoints CTO and CCO to Spearhead Growth and Innovation
- Core to Cloud Partners with Cybersecurity Innovator AppOmni to Enable Comprehensive SaaS Security
- Fleet Management Limited announces strategic leadership transition in its 30th year
- Norway salmon farms turn to veggie menu
- AB Electrolux publishes 2023 Annual Report
- Kazakh influencers, rights groups denounce domestic violence 'epidemic'
- Indivior Announces Q4 / FY 2023 Financial Results
- Fidelity Emerging Markets Ltd - Tender Offer
- Eggy Party Launches Globally on February 23 alongside the New Stellar Encounter Season
- Mondi Plc - Final Results
- Nord Anglia Education launches international metacognition research with Boston College
- BeCause Closes Seed Round with Tail-End Investment From Curiosity VC
- Desert Control releases its Q4 2023 Report and Year-to-date Company Update
- Hexagon Composites ASA: Mandatory notification of trade - provisional award of PSUs
- Wego Announces Exciting Partnership with Malta Tourism to Elevate Travel Experience
- 'Barbarians at the gates': US evangelicals back Trump as their defender
- TerraPay joins forces with Diamond Trust Bank Uganda, to simplify global money transfers in Uganda
- Dense Air joins forces with Radisys and EdgeQ to shape the ecosystem of shared wireless at MWC
- US Congressional support for Taiwan 'extremely strong', says lawmaker
- Dahua Technology Unveils 5E Initiative to Enhance Customer Experience
- Asian markets climb, Tokyo hits record after US tech gains
- Australia's Foketi hospitalised after suffering neck injury in training
- Countries 'reaching beyond borders' to silence dissidents: HRW
- Israel strikes Gaza's Rafah as truce talks under way
- Rockwell Automation Names Matheus Bulho Senior Vice President, Software & Control
- Yamin Shihab appointed as the Managing Director for Colliers Project Leaders- Middle East
- Japan's Nikkei breaks bubble-era record
- 'Wonka' star Chalamet braves desert dystopia in 'Dune 2'
- 'Dune' star Brolin says 'Goonies' defined him for decades
- Elton John items fetch $8 million at New York auction
- Drifting with purpose: sports car enthusiasts rally in Afghanistan
- Massive leak shows Chinese firm hacked foreign govts, activists: analysts
- China may miss all key climate targets for 2025: report
- Messi the creator as Miami win in MLS opener
- TSMC diversifies out of hotspot Taiwan with new Japan plant
- Asian markets open higher after US tech gains
- Sumo great Hakuho facing demotion over protege's alleged bullying
- In a doughnut in Japan, unlocking the power of the Sun
- No room for sentiment as Ireland's Beirne prepares for Wales Test
- Bergamasco backs Italy to cause 'doubting' France problems in Six Nations
- 'Dad, come back': Palestinians radio loved ones in Israeli jails
- SI GROUP ANNOUNCES STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP WITH LIAONING DINGJIDE PETROCHEMICAL CO., LTD. FOR CERTAIN PRODUCTS IN CHINA
Girona 'making history', go top with superb Valencia comeback
Girona sprang a stunning late comeback to beat Valencia 2-1 on Saturday and breathe fresh life into their shock La Liga title bid.
Trailing to Hugo Duro's 56th minute strike with under 10 minutes remaining, the Catalan minnows finally broke down Valencia's walls through veteran striker Cristhian Stuani's brace to move provisionally three points clear at the top of the table.
Stuani levelled after 82 minutes and bundled home another with two minutes to go, with both goals set up by Yan Couto crosses as fans at Girona's tiny Montilivi stadium went wild.
After dropping two points in a draw with Athletic Bilbao on Monday, Girona seemed poised to fall to only their second defeat of the season.
"It's good to recognise that we are making history, it can't be something normal that we've taken 12 wins from 15 games," Girona coach Michel told reporters.
"I only ask that in the bad moments we are united, I keep thinking that -- Madrid, Barca, Atleti, is not our league -- we will not keep up this rhythm, and we should all be sure about that."
Towering striker Artem Dovbyk missed arguably Girona's best chance until their late goals in the first minute, with Giorgi Mamardashvili parrying his strike after he cut in from the right.
The Catalans suffered a setback when Yangel Herrera limped off injured and was replaced by Pablo Torre, on loan from Barcelona.
Ruben Bareja's well-drilled Valencia shut down the usually free-scoring hosts throughout, limiting them largely to half-chances.
Dovbyk also wasted another rare presentable opportunity before half-time, as the Ukrainian forward tried to flick the ball past Mamardashvili, who again denied him.
The Georgian goalkeeper made a fine save to thwart Girona playmaker Aleix Garcia in the 54th minute and Valencia quickly reaped further reward.
Duro intercepted a pass on the half-way line, tearing into the empty space ahead of him and dinked a cute finish over Paulo Gazzaniga.
Baraja threw on more defenders from the bench to further frustrate Girona, setting Dimitri Foulquier to man-mark Brazilian winger Savinho, who was starting to thrive after Michel switched him to the right.
- Late comeback -
Substitute Stuani could have pulled Girona level but directed his header at Mamardashvili when Viktor Tsygankov found him at the back post, although he quickly made amends.
Couto, on from the bench, whipped in another cross to the same area a minute later and veteran Uruguayan forward Stuani, 37, was on hand to convert from point blank range.
Right-back Couto, on loan from Manchester City thanks to the City Football Group's stake in Girona, then aimed another cross towards Stuani and he managed to turn home despite a rebound against defender Cristhian Mosquera.
"I'm very happy for the team, for the fight that we had with the scoreline against us," Stuani told DAZN.
"The team did not let themselves surrender -- (Valencia) set up very well.
"We did not stop trying, we locked them in their box and in the end the goals arrived."
Girona thought they had a third goal in stoppage time when Savinho blasted home, but it was ruled out for offside against Cristian Portu.
In only their fourth season in the top flight in their history, Girona keep finding ways to surprise.
"Girona move you around, they play with you, they are a magnificent team and there's a reason why they are first," Duro told DAZN.
"It hurts because we leave with no points and we did a good job -- today we didn't deserve to lose.
"The team worked so hard, some of us can't even breathe, I'm finding it hard to speak."