-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
Zverev happy with response after wobble in opening Melbourne win
A relieved world number three Alexander Zverev said he was encouraged by the way he responded from a set down on Sunday to reach the Australian Open second round.
The German, who lost the final in three sets to Jannik Sinner last year, ground past 41st-ranked Canadian Gabriel Diallo 6-7 (1/7), 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 on Rod Laver Arena.
It put him into round two at Melbourne Park for a 10th straight year as he looks to disrupt the domination of Sinner and world number one Carlos Alcaraz, who have shared the last eight major titles.
But he had to work hard to tame the lanky 24-year-old, who showed his potential with a maiden ATP title last year.
"He's a great player. Very young, very talented, very powerful," Zverev said.
"In the beginning, I was not playing good, I was giving him too many chances, I was too defensive.
"But happy with the way I played the second, third and fourth, because I thought that was quite a high level for me.
"It's a positive for sure," he added. "Because you have been tested and you know where you are and you know where your level is at, especially in difficult moments."
Zverev was broken early and slumped 4-1 behind in the opening set, struggling with the Canadian's booming serve.
Diallo went 40-0 up on his own serve with a chance to take a 5-2 lead, but the German dug deep to haul himself back to 4-4.
He saved a set point at 4-5 and it went to a tiebreak, where it was all Diallo.
Zverev regrouped at the changeover and came out firing, racing 4-0 clear with a double break to power through set two in 31 minutes and dial up the pressure.
He scored a crucial break in the seventh game of set three when Diallo fluffed a forehand from the baseline and took control as his opponent's error count surged.
Another break on Diallo's first service game in the fourth set put Zverev on his way to sealing the match.
His reward is a clash next with either Australian world number 49 Alexei Popyrin or 50th-ranked Frenchman Alexandre Muller.
Zverev finished the 2025 season with only one title, in Munich, having been beset by injuries.
It was enough to end as number three in the world behind Alcaraz and Sinner, but he disappointed at the other three Grand Slams with a major title still elusive.
Should he finally triumph in Melbourne on his 40th Slam appearance, the 28-year-old Zverev will go second on the Open era list for most attempts before winning a Grand Slam title.
Goran Ivanisevic holds the record, winning Wimbledon in 2001 on his 48th attempt.
K.Brown--BTB