-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
Kompany says Mourinho made 'huge mistake' in Vinicius racism row
Vincent Kompany has criticised Jose Mourinho's handling of the racism controversy involving Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior, saying the Benfica coach's comments after the midweek Champions League match were a "huge mistake".
Brazil international Vinicius accused Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during Real's 1-0 win in Lisbon on Tuesday, telling the referee he had been called a "monkey" during a confrontation with the Argentine.
After the match, Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica's players and fans with his celebration following his winning goal in the first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie. UEFA has said it would investigation "allegations of discriminatory behaviour".
Bayern Munich coach Kompany, who reflected on his past experiences of racism as a player, said what he found most troubling was what unfolded off the pitch.
"You have the leader of an organisation, Jose Mourinho, who basically attacks the character of Vinicius Junior by bringing in the type of celebration. To discredit what Vinicius is doing at this moment," Kompany told reporters on Friday.
"And for me in terms of leadership, it's a huge mistake and it's something that we should not accept."
Kompany said talk of Vinicius' celebration should not distract from the player's immediate response to Prestianni's remarks, which showed genuine emotional distress.
"You have Vini Jr, who, when you watch the action itself, his reaction cannot be faked. You can see it. His reaction is an emotional reaction. I don't see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," said Kompany.
"There is absolutely no reason for Vini Jr to go and do this, and he does it, and when he does it, I think in his mind he's doing it more because it's the right thing to do in that moment."
- Difficult to prove -
However, Kompany said it would be difficult to prove the allegations of racist abuse against Prestianni unless the player admitted to doing so.
"You have a player (Prestianni) who's hiding what he's saying in his shirt... You have a player who's complaining, you have a player who says he didn't do it, and I think unless the player himself comes forward, it's difficult, it's a difficult case," said the Belgian.
Despite the criticism, Kompany said he hopes the situation can still lead to accountability and growth. If Prestianni did use racist language, he said, there should remain a space for apology and for disciplinary bodies to consider remorse.
"If it is true that the player from Benfica has said something as bad as what he said, I would love a situation where there's still a room where somebody can apologise. And say I'm sorry I made a mistake.
"This has an impact on the sentence as well, so the sentence should be A or B. But if you admit that you've made a mistake, There should be an opportunity as well to say that hey, nobody's perfect."
Turning back to Mourinho, Kompany said he'd "never heard a person say anything bad" about him and would not judge the Portuguese based on the incident at the Estadio da Luz.
"He's made a mistake. Hopefully in the future it won't happen like this again and that we can move forward and grow."
M.Odermatt--BTB