-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
-
Records for Asher-Smith, Hunt as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round
-
Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri
-
Amy Hunt bags fourth Euro gold as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire: regional leader
-
Strikes kill 19 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Belgium's Pocognoli appointed new Scotland manager
-
Lula and Bolsonaro court women voters as Brazil election campaign kicks off
-
Marchand storms to second gold of European championships
-
Belgium races to tame huge wildfire creeping towards Germany
Mourinho's Bernabeu homecoming upended by suspension, racism row
Jose Mourinho has not set foot in the Santiago Bernabeu since leaving Real Madrid in 2013, but his Champions League homecoming with Benfica on Wednesday will be far more complicated than initially anticipated.
Mourinho cannot sit in the dug-out for the play-off second leg after being sent off during his team's 1-0 first-leg defeat in Lisbon last week.
The 63-year-old also came under fire for his controversial comments in the aftermath of alleged racial abuse aimed at Madrid star Vinicius Junior by Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni.
The Argentine will miss the second leg after UEFA provisionally suspended him for one game amid an investigation into the incident.
Mourinho, who won a La Liga title with Los Blancos during three years at the helm, made a big impact on the Spanish giants during a period of particularly bitter rivalry with Barcelona and a dressing room divided for and against him.
Madrid president Florentino Perez is known to be a big fan of the Portuguese coach and rumours persist that Mourinho could be hired next season to replace Alvaro Arbeloa, if the current campaign ends badly.
The Spaniard, one of Mourinho's disciples during his spell at the helm of the 15-time European champions, faces his biggest test yet since replacing Xabi Alonso in January as Benfica visit the Spanish capital.
Mourinho was dismissed in the first leg for vociferous complaints from the touchline.
The coach said referee Francois Letexier was avoiding booking Madrid players who were at risk of suspension for the second leg.
"I've had my butt on the bench for 1,400 games and (I could see that) he knew perfectly well who he could book and who he couldn't," complained Mourinho bitterly.
"I (won't be) sitting on the bench, I can't go to the dressing room, I can't communicate with the team," he added. "It's hard for me, but my teammates and my assistants are there, they'll do their job."
- Prestianni banned -
The first leg was tarnished by Prestianni's alleged racial slur aimed at Vinicius.
UEFA's decision to suspend the Benfica player for one game has eased some tension ahead of the second leg, and he could miss at least 10 if European football's governing body finds he racially abused Vinicius.
Vinicius wrote that "racists are above all cowards", on social media after the game, while Madrid striker Kylian Mbappe backed his team-mate and said he had heard Prestianni calling the winger a monkey.
The 20-year-old Benfica midfielder insists he did not racially abuse Vinicius while hiding his mouth with his shirt, after the Brazilian's stunning goal which split the sides at the Estadio da Luz.
Mourinho said that he had spoken to both players and they had given him different versions of events.
Then the Portuguese coach said Vinicius's goal celebration was disrespectful and said Benfica was not a racist club because their biggest icon, Eusebio, was black.
"He's saying it's okay, when Vinicius provokes you, to be racist -- and I think that is very wrong," former Netherlands midfielder Clarence Seedorf told Amazon Prime.
"We should never, ever justify racial abuse."
Real Madrid defender Trent Alexander-Arnold said the incident, which led to the second half being paused for around 10 minutes, was a "disgrace to football".
The second leg will be played under its shadow as Madrid seek to avoid a humiliating early exit at the hands of Mourinho and qualify for the last 16.
F.Müller--BTB