-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
-
Records for Asher-Smith, Hunt as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round
-
Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri
-
Amy Hunt bags fourth Euro gold as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire: regional leader
-
Strikes kill 19 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Belgium's Pocognoli appointed new Scotland manager
-
Lula and Bolsonaro court women voters as Brazil election campaign kicks off
-
Marchand storms to second gold of European championships
-
Belgium races to tame huge wildfire creeping towards Germany
-
Kushner meets with Hamas in push to revive Gaza plan
-
Two dead, hundreds evacuated from fires on island near Athens
-
Villarreal battle back to earn draw at promoted Racing
-
Real Madrid crush Schalke in friendly as Diomande debuts
-
Odegaard says Arsenal 'want to win everything' after Community Shield success
-
Calls for UK inquiry into 'hounding' of ex-Cambridge academic
Turmoil deepens for 2030 Olympic Games as chief executive quits
The chief executive of the 2030 Winter Olympics organising committee (Cojop) in the French Alps has stepped down after a serious falling out with the president Edgar Grospiron, it was announced on Wednesday.
"At the meeting of the board on Sunday February 22 2026 in Milan, Cojop and other interested parties took note of the departure of chief executive of Cojop, Cyril Linette," read the organisers statement.
Linette had been in his post since last April, personally chosen by Grospiron, and becomes the fourth senior executive to leave in the past two months.
Linette's departure seemed inevitable since a statement was issued following a meeting of all the interested parties, including the political leaders of the regions, earlier this month.
They said they had: "collectively noted irreparable differences between president Edgar Grospiron and the chief executive Cyril Linette" adding "they had given their go ahead to the president of Cojop to conduct the required discussions" and "to propose the most convenient solution".
Wednesday's statement was published shortly before Grospiron was to appear before a French Senate committee, along with Pierre-Antoine Molina, the civil servant responsible for the Olympics and the Paralympics, devoted to discussing the crisis affecting the leadership.
Grospiron, who won freestyle skiing Olympic gold in the 1992 Games in Albertville, appeared via a video link and refused to divulge what the disagreements between himself and Linette had been saying they were covered by a "confidentiality clause".
French Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu had entered the debate on Monday, before the ceremony when the Olympic flag was officially raised in Albertville in the Alps.
"Everyone must be at their battle stations and pull in the same direction in order to bring 2030 to fruition," he said.
- 'As a team' -
The departure of Linette follows that of the chair of the organising team's compensation committee Bertrand Meheut, a former president of the Canal+ media group, director of operations Anne Murac and communications chief Arthur Richter.
Grospiron for his part said he was "astonished" by a question from a senator as to whether he would also be resigning.
"I am both surprised and astonished because I have no idea where you would have heard that I was going to resign," said Grospiron.
The 56-year-old denounced the "media circus" surrounding the crisis at the top of the organising committee.
"I have always been and I am still 100 percent involved and devoted to this project," he said.
He admitted that not everything was sweetness and light.
"These difficulties we are experiencing must be looked at clearly, their existence cannot be denied," he said.
"In order to get over them we have to act methodically, rigorously, and as a team."
Wednesday's statement paid tribute to the work done by Linette.
However, they added the decision "is in line with the collective desire to give Cojop a new elan thanks to a refreshed governance, at a time when with the foundations laid, we are entering a new key phase of the delivery of the project".
The crisis at the top had drawn comment from Pierre-Olivier Beckers, the head of the International Olympic Committee's coordination commission for the 2030 Games, in his update on preparations given to the IOC Session in Milan earlier this month.
The Belgian aristocrat conceded the French team had a shorter preparation time than other Winter Olympics, having only begun work in 2024, when President Emmanuel Macron guaranteed the French state's financial backing, but he warned rapid progress was required.
"Once the Milano-Cortina Games conclude, the world's attention will shift rapidly towards 2030," he said.
"Expectations will rise, the pace will intensify, the work ahead is substantial, and the clock will start ticking even louder.
"But my feeling is that if you work as a strong trusting team, a collective team, guided and inspired by the vision and the mission of this project, together you can only succeed."
H.Seidel--BTB