- Israeli assault on Rafah would flout international court: UN rights chief
- Van Gogh Museum showcases kindred Canadian-Chinese artist Wong
- Actor Godreche denounces sexual violence in landmark French parliament hearing
- Ninety One UK Ltd - Form 8 (OPD) - Direct Line Insurance Group Plc
- Liverpool announce £9 mn loss for 2022/23 season
- Volt Joins Linebreak to Help Companies Maximize Edge Data Value
- Ailing Eiffel Tower dragged into power play for Paris city hall
- Norges Bank - Form 8.3 - Direct Line Insurance Group plc
- Leverkusen 'calm and optimistic' Alonso will stay
- MAG WELCOMES MAIN CONTRACTORS TO BID FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF KETURAH RESERVE
- Putin warns West of nuclear war risk
- Heavy security in Chad capital after attack on intelligence HQ
- EU consumers challenge Meta paid service as privacy 'smokescreen'
- Healthy Innovation Conference explores the future of the sustainable food industry
- Lesaffre inaugurates a yeast plant in Indonesia, strengthening its presence in Asia Pacific
- World No1 Vu lies stroke behind surprise Singapore LPGA leader
- atNorth Announce Camilla O'Leary as Sales Director for Denmark and the DACH region as Expansion Strategy Continues
- SlotsCalendar Unveils Exciting Transformation into a Social Casino - Play, Compete, and Win!
- YOFC Unveils Cutting-edge Innovations at 2024 MWC Barcelona
- Baseball superstar Ohtani reveals he is 'now married'
- Vantage Markets Clinches Coveted Global "Best CFD Broker" Award for 2024
- Vantage UK receives "Best CFD Broker, Global" Award for 2024
- Paddle bolsters leadership team with new CPO, CFO and VP of People ahead of the next stage of global expansion
- HIKMICRO Unveils its 'Explore Daytime Hunting in a New Way' Vision at IWA 2024
- ATFX appoints FX pioneer Drew Niv as Chief Strategy Officer
- Neweast and Isuzu Launch Groundbreaking Partnership in KSA
- China's thriving outbound tourism contributes to global economic recovery
- Happiest Minds partners with Secureworks to deliver next-gen XDR Services
- Appian Partners with Symphony to Enable Compliant Financial Communications and Process Automation
- Bionical Solutions Appoints Chief Technology Officer to Create Innovative Data Products and Software for the Digital Business
- Baseball superstar Shohei Ohtani reveals he is 'now married'
- AliExpress Marks Choice Anniversary with Deals and New Ambassadors
- BioInnovation Institute welcomes twelve new companies to its Venture Lab program
- Zendure Unveils an All-in-One Energy Solution AIO 2400 for a Sustainable Future
- WISCO, China Unicom and ZTE recognized as "Best Mobile Innovation for Connected Economy" at the GLOMO Awards 2024
- CloudRAN.AI Launches at MWC 2024, Revolutionizing Private 5G for Industrial Transformation
- Mast Energy Developments PLC share price soars 35% after securing a funding agreement with RiverFort Global Opportunities PCC Limited for a facility o...
- Asia's richest man launches lavish pre-wedding party in India
- Zuckerberg, S. Korea's President Yoon talk AI cooperation
- Asian markets rise ahead of US inflation data
- Swiss to vote on retirement age, pensions
- Aptoide enables Mir Card payments for Russian users
- ANICAV advocate the importance of legumes in the Australian diet as the days get colder
- Rare Disease Day 2024 - Call for greater awareness of X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy and cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy - special film launched
- Karelian Diamond Resources Plc - Half-yearly results for the six months ended 30 November 2023
- Mid Wynd International Investment Trust Plc - Half-year Report
- Sygnum Bank, Hamilton Lane and Apex Group Expand Access to Private Markets via DLT-Registered Shares in USD 3.8bn Fund
- Conroy Gold & Natural Resources Plc - Half-yearly results for the six months ended 30 November 2023
- KR1 Plc - Unaudited Net Asset Value Update (January 2024)
- Tetragon Financial Group Limited January 2024 Monthly Factsheet
Serena Williams says 'countdown' to retirement has started
US tennis great Serena Williams announced on Tuesday that "the countdown has begun" to her retirement from the sport.
Williams, 40, won the last of her 23 Slams at the 2017 Australian Open when she was already pregnant with daughter, Olympia.
However, she has failed to add a 24th major which would take her level with Margaret Court's all-time record.
Her final attempt will come at the US Open in New York later this month.
"There comes a time in life when we have to decide to move in a different direction," she said on Instagram.
"That time is always hard when you love something so much. My goodness do I enjoy tennis. But now, the countdown has begun.
"I have to focus on being a mom, my spiritual goals and finally discovering a different, but just exciting Serena. I'm gonna relish these next few weeks."
Williams stepped onto a hardcourt for the first time in a year and a half on Monday in the WTA Toronto tournament where she reached the second round with a straight sets victory over Spaniard Nuria Parrizas Diaz.
It was her first singles victory since the 2021 French Open, 14 months ago.
The former world number one had played her first singles match in a year following a lengthy injury layoff during a first round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Earlier on Tuesday, Williams wrote in the September edition of Vogue magazine where she featured on the cover that she was "evolving away" from the sport after the US Open.
"Unfortunately I wasn't ready to win Wimbledon this year," she said in the publication.
"And I don't know if I will be ready to win New York. But I'm going to try. And the lead-up tournaments will be fun. I know there's a fan fantasy that I might have tied Margaret that day in London, then maybe beat her record in New York, and then at the trophy ceremony say, 'See ya!' I get that. It's a good fantasy.
"But I'm not looking for some ceremonial, final on-court moment. I'm terrible at goodbyes, the world's worst."
- 'Evolving away from tennis' -
Williams won her first Grand Slam title at the 1999 US Open, when she was 17.
She has won the Wimbledon and Australian Open singles title seven times each, along with six US Open trophies and three French Open successes.
"I have never liked the word retirement. It doesn't feel like a modern word to me," she said.
"I've been thinking of this as a transition, but I want to be sensitive about how I use that word, which means something very specific and important to a community of people. Maybe the best word to describe what I'm up to is evolution.
"I'm here to tell you that I'm evolving away from tennis, toward other things that are important to me.
"A few years ago I quietly started Serena Ventures, a venture capital firm. Soon after that, I started a family. I want to grow that family.
"But I've been reluctant to admit to myself or anyone else that I have to move on from playing tennis. Alexis, my husband, and I have hardly talked about it; it's like a taboo topic.
"In the last year, Alexis and I have been trying to have another child, and we recently got some information from my doctor that put my mind at ease and made me feel that whenever we're ready, we can add to our family. I definitely don't want to be pregnant again as an athlete. I need to be two feet into tennis or two feet out."