-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
Burkina mourns 79 dead in jihadist massacre
Burkina Faso on Tuesday began three days of mourning after 79 people died in one of the bloodiest massacres in a nearly seven-year-old insurgency by armed Islamists.
The government issued a new toll from the weekend attack at the village of Seytenga in northern Burkina, revising it sharply upwards from the earlier figure of at least 50 dead.
The head of the country's ruling junta, Lieutenant-Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo, decreed three days of mourning, which took effect at midnight on Monday.
In a statement, the government said 29 more bodies had been found, bringing the provisional death toll to 79.
The search for still more victims is being hampered by fear of booby-trapped devices planted "by terrorists to mine the site", it said.
"The terrorists came into the town on Saturday, market day," a survivor told AFP by phone.
"They opened fire as soon as they entered," which was at around four pm or five pm, he said.
"They only aimed at men. They went from shop to shop, sometimes torching it. They opened fire on anyone who tried to run away. They stayed in the town all night," said the man, who had fled to Dori, the nearest large town.
"As soon as the shooting broke out on Saturday evening, I fled into the bush with my family," said another survivor.
"We stayed there all night before reaching Dori on Sunday morning. We didn't take anything and we learned that they set fire to homes, so we have lost everything."
Condemning the attack, the European Union estimated the final toll could reach some 100 civilians.
- Bloodshed -
The massacre is the second worst in the history of Burkina's insurgency, which started in 2015 when jihadists launched cross-border raids from Mali.
Attacks mainly by groups affiliated with Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State have since claimed thousands of lives, while nearly two million have fled their homes.
The toll at Seytenga is surpassed only by an attack at Solhan in the northeast of the country last June that left 132 dead, according to an official toll. Local sources say 160 died.
The Soltan attack -- and a raid at Inata that killed 57 gendarmes five months later -- were key factors behind a military coup in January.
Disgruntled colonels ousted elected civilian president Roch Marc Christian Kabore, battling a wave of unpopularity for his handling of the insurgency.
The new strongman, Lieutenant Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba, named security his key priority.
But after a lull, attacks have resumed. Several hundred civilians and members of the security forces have died in the past three months.
- 'Miracle' needed -
The latest massacre sparked grief and hand-wringing but also calls for stronger commitment in the fight against the jihadists and an appeal for civilians to be armed.
"Where is Burkina going?" the privately-owned daily Le Pays asked in an editorial, deploring the "unparalleled barbarism" of the attack.
"We are witnessing a humanitarian catastrophe in Burkina Faso. Our generation is awaiting a miracle," said Yeli Monique Kam, a presidential candidate in 2020.
Arouna Loure, a doctor in the transitional legislative assembly, suggested it was "time to formally arm the public, especially those living in areas facing major security challenges.
"It is better to die defending one's lands, weapon in hand, than to be a victim of this barbarism in absolute impotence," said Loure.
Seytenga had been struck on June 9 in an attack that claimed the lives of 11 gendarmerie police officers.
The army then announced that it had killed around 40 jihadists following that raid.
The massacre was "retaliation for the actions of the army which caused bloodshed" within jihadist ranks, government spokesman Lionel Bilgo said on Monday.
In early April, community leaders and fighters from local armed groups began talks with the government's backing, mainly in the north and east of the country.
Y.Bouchard--BTB