-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
Winter Olympic organisers insist ice hockey arena ready despite hole in rink
Winter Olympics organisers insisted on Friday that the Milan-Cortina Games' main ice hockey rink will be ready for competition next month despite a key test event being delayed by a small hole in the ice.
Asked whether there was any possibility that the venue, in the eastern Santa Giulia district of Milan, would not be ready to host matches International Olympic Committee (IOC) sport director Pierre Ducrey told reporters: "No chance at all."
And organisers said they were not worried even after an Italian Cup match played on the rink on Friday was briefly stopped due to the hole, which was quickly patched up.
Don Moffatt, who works for the Colorado Avalanches in the National Hockey League (NHL) and is in charge of the ice at the Olympic rink, told AFP via a spokesman that he is happy with the ice and that such teething problems can happen the first time a rink is skated on.
Officially called the Milano Santagiulia Ice Hockey Arena, the rink is scheduled to host 33 preliminary and knock-out games at the upcoming Olympics, which run between February 6 and 22.
Organisers told AFP it is structurally ready and that the remaining needed works -- visible both in the stands and the concourses -- are simply "the finishing touches".
Ducrey insisted that players from the National Hockey League (NHL), widely regarded as the world's top hockey league, will compete at the Olympics for the first time since 2014.
Their participation was called into question as recently as last month by the NHL's deputy commissioner Bill Daly, due to concerns about the playing surface.
"We're very excited they're coming back," Ducrey said to reporters at the ice rink.
"Twelve years. It was a lot of work from a lot of people to make sure this happens. You will have NHL players here in February, and it's going to be amazing."
Andrea Francisi, Chief Games Operations Officer for Milan-Cortina, added that the NHL players' participation was guaranteed "100 percent".
- Sore point -
The ice hockey arena is one of the few entirely new venues built for the Olympics, which span a vast area of northern Italy from economic capital Milan to the Dolomite mountains that straddle the country's borders with Austria and Slovenia.
It is a multi-sport complex -- which Olympics organisers told AFP will have a capacity of 15,300 -- and is expected to host basketball games and concerts after the Games.
Organisers also told AFP that the number of "sellable tickets" for the Olympic hockey matches will be 11,800 due to the presence of media and delegations in the stands.
The arena's construction has been one of the sore points of preparations for the Olympics, with the late delivery and rink quality causing concern for both the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) and NHL.
Over Friday and Sunday, the arena will host fixtures which will decide Italy's top ice hockey league and cup competitions, a month later than the original test event which had to be moved to the Games' secondary ice rink in Milan's western suburbs due to the state of the venue.
"We will have a site visit with the NHL and also NHLPA (players' association) next (this coming) Sunday. But let me say, everything was planned together with IOC Sport, the IIHF, NHL and NHLPA," added Francisi.
"It's not only us. It's a big cooperation between all the parties involved for the hockey tournament."
Speaking to AFP, IIHF chief Luc Tardif also expressed positivity about the state of play.
"For a few months there were still some worries, but since my last visit a week ago, I'm a bit more confident," said Tardif.
"When I saw everything that they've done in the space of a week, the sporting facilities... for our federation it's very important.
"You can see that there are still things to be finished, plenty of things, but we have three weeks in which it will be much easier than it has been up to now for work to be done."
The women's ice hockey tournament starts on February 5 before the NHL stars take to the ice in the men's tournament on February 11.
A.Gasser--BTB