-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
'He must hate me': Medvedev renews Tien rivalry at Australian Open
Three-time finalist Daniil Medvedev renews his rivalry with up-and-coming Learner Tien in the Australian Open last 16, saying Friday: "I don't like to play him, but he must hate to play me as well."
Russia's Medvedev booked the Melbourne clash after battling through 6-7 (5/7), 4-6, 7-5, 6-0, 6-3 in 3hr 43min against Fabian Marozsan of Hungary.
The American 25th seed Tien kept up his end of the bargain by beating Nuno Borges of Portugal in straight sets.
The 20-year-old Tien and former number one Medvedev, 29, met three times last year, with the younger man winning twice.
That included a five-set marathon in the first round of the Australian Open, when Tien was a teenage qualifier.
"The thing is that I kind of don't like to play him, but he must hate to play me as well," said Medvedev, who anticipates "long, brutal rallies" in Sunday's showdown.
"I'm going to try to enjoy the game of tennis. Of course, try to do my best to maybe surprise him somewhere," added Medvedev, Australian Open runner-up in 2021, 2022 and 2024.
Medvedev booked his spot after coming back from 2-0 down for the fifth time in his career.
"It was a very tough match," said the 2021 US Open champion, who had a wretched major record last year.
The sometimes combustible Medvedev was pleased that he kept his volatile temper under control.
"I did manage to stay calm, even in the fifth set and managed to hit some good shots even in the fifth," he said.
Marozsan, ranked 47, was bidding to reach the last 16 of a Grand Slam for the first time.
They exchanged breaks to start in a sign of things to come.
The two players went to a first-set tiebreak, where the Hungarian edged in front and held his nerve on his second set point.
Medvedev had vowed to be more "positive" on court after a 2025 where he lost in the first round at the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open.
His emotions began showing and he was on the ropes as he fell 4-1 down in the second set in the Margaret Court Arena sunshine.
Medvedev, who warmed up for Melbourne by winning the Brisbane title, reined in his emotions and got one break back, but Marozsan sealed the second set.
The unseeded 26-year-old appeared in control, but back roared Medvedev to turn the tide.
He won the third set and took that momentum into the fourth, the Russian racing through the set without dropping a game in just 19 minutes.
It sent a gripping match into a deciding set, where both struggled to hold serve, before Medvedev scraped through.
"Five sets again," he wrote afterwards on the on-court camera.
S.Keller--BTB