-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death in Miami draw
-
PSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trick
-
Mercedes and Max: What to watch as F1 returns for Dutch GP
-
Arsenal can become world's best club: Arteta
-
'People, not robots': Ukraine's soldiers justify human role amid drone revolution
-
Japan's King Kazu, 59, scores twice from spot to make cup history
-
North Sea drilling tests UK govt climate pledge
-
Kyiv's desperate vendors persevere outside obliterated flea market
-
'Ray of hope': Gaza seed bank rebuilds after wartime destruction
-
Australia races to shield little penguins from H5N1 bird flu
-
Mourinho begins second Real Madrid reign with Barca in his sights
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
-
Brazilian narco violence spills over into tranquil Bolivia
-
Trump vows 'tremendous' economic costs on Iran partners
-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
German investigators said Thursday they had identified a far-right suspect who allegedly carried out a notorious 1970 arson attack on a Jewish centre in Munich that killed seven Holocaust survivors.
The attack on the building, which served as a retirement home and guest house, stands as one of the worst crimes targeting the Jewish community in the history of post-war Germany.
Investigators struggled to crack the case for decades, with speculation that a Middle Eastern terrorist or far-left militant may have been behind it, and finally shelved their probe in 2017.
But last year the investigation was reopened after a tip-off, leading officials to identify a German man with a "Hitler fixation", who passed away in 2020, as likely responsible, police and prosecutors in Munich said.
"The new investigations conducted after the reopening of the case strongly indicate that the suspect was the perpetrator," they said in a joint statement.
But they added that a conclusive "legal clarification" was not possible as charges cannot be brought against a deceased person under German law.
Officials were also unable to work out whether he had worked as part of a group, although there were no solid indications that others were involved, they said.
The suspect, aged 25 at the time of the crime, belonged to the "right-wing milieu", and witnesses described him as an antisemite, police and prosecutors said.
While they did not name him, Der Spiegel magazine partially identified him as Bernd V.
Officials reopened their investigation in April last year after a female witness came forward, saying that the suspect had been in close contact with one of her relatives.
She chose to speak out shortly after the death of her relative, and passed on new information to authorities.
On February 13, 1970, the day of the attack, the suspect was allegedly in the immediate vicinity of the crime scene, according to police and prosecutors.
- Continuing far-right threat -
Looking at the Jewish community centre, he is said to have remarked that "the Jews had everything" and he wanted to "set them on fire", police and prosecutors said.
About 15 minutes later, the building was ablaze.
He is suspected of dousing the wooden staircase of the centre with petrol before starting the fire, which quickly engulfed the building. As well as the seven residents killed, 15 were injured, four of them seriously.
Suspicion that the 25-year-old was behind the crime intensified as investigators learnt more about his background.
He is said to have listened to Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler's speeches in his youth and was sentenced to juvenile detention in the 1960s after being found guilty of blowing up two telephone booths in Munich, according to officials.
A former classmate described him as showing "hostility" towards Jews while an ex-headmaster said he was cold and calculating, and recounted how he had used a dagger from a Nazi youth organisation during a fight.
Germany, which has spent decades trying to atone for its dark World War II past, still struggles with regular far-right and neo-Nazi attacks and plots.
Authorities consider far-right extremism the most serious security threat facing the country, and greater than that posed by Islamist groups.
In 2025 there were 58,700 individuals classified as right-wing extremist in Germany, a jump of 17 percent from the previous year, according to a report from Germany's domestic intelligence agency (BfV).
The number of right-wing extremists considered potentially violent meanwhile rose to 15,600, it said.
W.Lapointe--BTB