-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
Wimbledon ban on Russian and Belarusian players 'unfair': Nadal
Rafael Nadal deemed Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players from taking part in the Championships as "unfair", the Spanish tennis legend told reporters in Madrid on Sunday.
The 21-time major winner believes the All England Club chose "the most drastic option", and hopes the tours can find a way to interfere with the ban.
Wimbledon has been heavily criticised by both the ATP and WTA as well as players like Nadal's great rival Novak Djokovic for implementing the ban due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Belarus is deemed an ally of Russia's and permitted Russian troops to invade Ukraine from across their border.
The ban rules out a swathe of talented players including men's world number two Daniil Medvedev and last year's Wimbledon semi-finalist Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus.
"It's unfair for my Russian colleagues," said Nadal.
"In that sense it's not their fault what's happening in this moment with the war.
"I'm sorry for them. I wish it was not this way, but at the end of the day we know that this is what we have."
Nadal, who is returning to competitive play after a six week hiatus due to a rib injury, said it may fall upon him and his fellow players to take a stand.
"As a fellow player, what can I say? I feel sorry for them," said the 35-year-old two-time Wimbledon champion.
"I wish this was not the case.
“Let's see what happens in the coming weeks and let's see if we as players need to take a stand.
"There is something wrong."
Nadal criticised Wimbledon for going beyond their remit.
"When a government orders something, you need to follow the rules," he said.
"In this case, the government issued a recommendation and Wimbledon decided to impose the most drastic option without being forced to do so."
The Grand Slams are independent of the ATP and WTA but the tours grant them ranking points, which could be withheld if an agreement is not reached on the matter.
"We know that Slams are outside the ATP, but as ATP we grant them the most points of all events," said Nadal.
"They are the most important. The 2,000 points, whenever we go to the Grand Slams, they are really important and we have to go to those tournaments."
"So we will have to see the measures that we take, and it's very unfair thing for them, for sure."
Nadal said obviously in the greater scheme of things tennis was secondary to the daily misery being experienced by the Ukrainians.
"At the end of the day, what happens in our game doesn't have any importance when we can see so many people dying and suffering and seeing the bad situation they are having in Ukraine," he said.
"It is very serious."
Nadal is seeded number three in Madrid and opens his campaign against the winner of the first round clash between Alexander Bublik and Miomir Kecmanovic.
M.Odermatt--BTB