-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
The US Open purse will top $100 million for the first time, a 20% increase on last year's $85 million that the US Tennis Association no doubt hopes will quiet the kind of protests over player compensation that erupted at the French Open and Wimbledon.
The USTA said Thursday that the total player compensation package at this year's tournament would be a record $108 million, with the men's and women's singles champions earning $5.5 million each.
Players in the first round will receive $140,000 via the purse increases spread across all rounds and competitions, including doubles and the wheelchair tournament.
The USTA's announcement coincided with a joint announcement by all four Grand Slams -- the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open -- of the creation of a Grand Slam player advisory council "to serve as the forum for direct communication, feedback and collaboration between the Grand Slams and players".
Top players, including world number ones Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka, limited their availability to media before the French Open and Wimbledon in protest of perceived low prize money.
The Grand Slams said the new player council will launch after the US Open.
"The Grand Slams are currently shaping the Council's initial composition, framework and operating structure with player input," the statement said. "Interested players will be invited to apply and those appointed to the Council will address the full range of Grand Slam sporting matters."
USTA chairman Brian Vahaly said the new council will provide recommendations on how the US federation, which organizes the US Open, should design its new Player Support Program, which will be started with an initial $2 million that is part of the announced US Open compensation package.
The program will be aimed at complementing existing end of career pension funds as well as providing a range of benefits supporting players through "mid-career life events and retirement transitions".
"The US Open has a long history of listening to players, and this player support program and Council builds on that commitment. We look forward to working directly with players to better understand the opportunities and challenges they face, and to continue finding meaningful ways to support them both on and off the court," said Vahaly.
USTA chief executive Craig Tiley called the purse increase and creation of the council "a significant first step in a multi-year investment in athletes as the US Open continues to be the best economic opportunity for players and the most valuable platform for players, fans and partners."
- A seat at the table -
American Ben Shelton, ranked sixth in the world, welcomed the creation of the player council.
"Having a seat at the table with the Grand Slams is something we have wanted for some time, so I'm really pleased to see this council come together," he said in a statement. "It gives us, as players, a real opportunity to have a voice, contribute to the conversation and help shape the tournaments beyond what happens on the court."
While Sabalenka and her fellow millionaire stars were accused by some of greed in demanding more prize money, she insisted at Wimbledon this year that they were fighting on behalf of lower ranked players, who do not enjoy the same rewards and benefits that come with being at the top of the sport.
"Listen, we do it for the tour, we don't do it for ourselves. We do it for the rest of the players who are suffering to even hire a coach," she said.
B.Shevchenko--BTB