-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
FIFA announces $60 World Cup tickets after pricing backlash
World Cup organisers unveiled a new cut-price ticket category on Tuesday after a backlash by fans over pricing for the 2026 tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Football's global governing body FIFA said in a statement that it had created a limited number of "Supporter Entry Tier" fixed at $60 for all 104 matches, including the final.
It said the plan was "designed to further support travelling fans following their national teams across the tournament".
FIFA said that the $60 (51 euro) tickets would be reserved for fans of qualified teams and would make up 10 percent of each national federation's allotment.
Fan group Football Supporters Europe (FSE), which last week called prices "extortionate" and "astronomical", responded by saying the FIFA was offering too little.
"While we welcome FIFA's seeming recognition of the damage its original plans were to cause, the revisions do not go far enough," FSE said in a statement on Tuesday.
Last week, FSE said ticket prices were almost five times higher than in 2022 in Qatar, describing FIFA's pricing for 2026 as a "monumental betrayal of the tradition of the World Cup".
"If a supporter were to follow their team from the first match to the final it would cost them a minimum of $6,900," it said at the time, adding that World Cup organisers had promised tickets priced from $21 in a bid document released in 2018.
- 'Appeasement tactic' -
On Tuesday, FSE said FIFA's partial ticketing U-turn exposed flaws in how prices for next year's tournament had been set.
"For the moment we are looking at the FIFA announcement as nothing more than an appeasement tactic due to the global negative backlash," FSE said.
"This shows that FIFA's ticketing policy is not set in stone, was decided in a rush, and without proper consultation -- including with FIFA's own member associations.
"Based on the allocations publicly available, this would mean that at best a few hundred fans per match and team would be lucky enough to take advantage of the 60 US dollar prices, while the vast majority would still have to pay extortionate prices, way higher than at any tournament before."
The organisation also criticised the failure to make provisions for supporters with disabilities or their companions.
Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer echoed FSE, stating that FIFA's cheaper ticket category did not go far enough.
"I welcome FIFA's announcement of some lower priced supporters tickets," Starmer wrote on X.
"But as someone who used to save up for England tickets, I encourage FIFA to do more to make tickets more affordable so that the World Cup doesn't lose touch with the genuine supporters who make the game so special."
Announcing the $60 tickets on Tuesday, FIFA said that national federations "are requested to ensure that these tickets are specifically allocated to loyal fans who are closely connected to their national teams".
FIFA also said that if fans bought tickets for games in the knockout rounds only to find their team eliminated at an earlier stage, they "will have the administrative fee waived when refunds are processed."
It added that it was making the announcement "amid extraordinary global demand for tickets" with 20 million requests already submitted.
The draw for tickets of all prices in the first round of sales will take place on Tuesday, January 13.
K.Thomson--BTB