- New Energy Blue launches farmer-owned business to supply clean, sustainable feedstock for its biomass refineries
- Columbus comeback earns MLS Cup final clash with LAFC
- Media Tour Witnesses Chinese Modernization in Hainan FTP
- Maghreb farmers embrace drones to fight climate change
- George lifts Clippers over Warriors, Giannis triple-double fuels Bucks
- 'Ink me up': Iran tattoo artists aim to leave mark
- Israel strikes Gaza as pressure mounts to protect civilians
- Columbus reach MLS Cup final with comeback win over Cincinnati
- German tourist stabbed to death in Paris 'terror' attack
- Haughey wins 100m free in US Open meet record
- Venezuela to hold referendum over Essequibo land dispute with Guyana
- George lifts Clippers to NBA victory over Warriors
- Attacker stabs German tourist to death in Paris
- Australia keep faith with Warner for first Pakistan Test
- SK E&S, strengthening 'Low-Carbon Hydrogen Partnership' at COP28... accelerating global carbon neutrality
- Nice lose unbeaten record as Lens inflict more pain on Lyon
- Taofifenua late try returns beaten Racing to Top 14 summit
- Rodman shines in new-look USA win over China
- Scheffler builds three-shot World Challenge lead, mixed day for Woods
- Newcastle inflict more misery on Man Utd, Arsenal extend Premier League lead
- Rodrygo helps Real Madrid keep pace with Girona in Liga title race
- Newcastle too good for Man Utd despite mounting injury crisis
- Milan beat Frosinone to close gap on leaders Juve
- US Commerce chief warns against China 'threat'
- Guinea-Bissau president calls deadly violence 'attempted coup'
- Masdar to Develop 150MWac Solar Plant in Angola to Power 90,000 Homes and Boost Just Energy Transition
- England ready to handle expectations at Euro 2024, says Southgate
- US defense chief says Israel must shield civilians to win in Gaza
- Peru boosts Machu Picchu access up to 5,600 visitors a day
- Guirassy scores again as Stuttgart beat Bremen
- Rodrygo strikes again as Madrid catch Girona with Granada win
- Italy and Spain to meet in Euro 2024 group stage, England handed kind draw
- Lens inflict more pain on managerless Lyon
- 'Not a group of death': Struggling Germany welcome Euro 2024 draw
- Italy and Spain drawn together in Euro 2024 group stage
- Guinea-Bissau army calls National Guard back to barracks after violence
- Girona 'making history', go top with superb Valencia comeback
- NWTN Celebrates Landmark Collaboration with Autostrad Car Rental Company for Eco-Friendly Transportation
- Heavy snow hits Beaver Creek World Cup ski race again
- Nervy Arsenal extend Premier League lead, Burnley score five
- Herve helps Toulon to Top 14 summit in Biggar absence
- Openda and Poulsen score as Leipzig beat Heidenheim to go fourth
- Burkina, Niger to quit G5 anti-jihadist force
- Germany beat France on penalties to win U-17 World Cup
- Girona top Liga with superb late Valencia comeback
- Grim cycle of death at a hospital in Gaza
- Erdogan weighs in on bank scam involving Turkish stars
- Embark on a Unique Journey with 'Hookah Haze': Human Drama Adventure Fueled by the Spirit of Shisha on Steam® and Nintendo Switch™ in 2024
- Xavi calls on Felix to let Atletico criticism inspire him
- Nations rally behind renewables at COP28 climate talks
False alarm sees US Capitol evacuated
The United States Capitol building was briefly evacuated Wednesday after a false alarm saw police tracking an aircraft that they said was a "probable threat" but turned out to be no danger.
The initial statement said police tasked with protecting the complex at the heart of US government in Washington had ordered it be evacuated as they were "tracking an aircraft that poses a probable threat."
It did not give further details.
The news became a top headline within minutes in the United States, where the memories of September 11, 2001 attacks -- which saw Al-Qaeda fly passenger jets into the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington -- are still poignant.
But police swiftly issued a second statement to say the order had been given "out of an abundance of caution" and that there was "no threat" to the complex.
"The aircraft no longer poses a threat to the Capitol Complex and the USCP is now preparing buildings for reentry," said the update from the US Capitol police.
Neither the House of Representatives nor the Senate, the chambers of Congress that are located in the Capitol, were in session at the time of the scare.
There was no immediate explanation for the order, but unverified reports suggested it could have come after a parachute display at a nearby sports stadium for "Military Appreciation Night."
NBC's Capitol Hill correspondent Garrett Haake tweeted that he had "Just watched some people parachute down over/near the US Capitol amid an evacuation order."
NBC, citing police, said they were part of a demonstration by the Army Golden Knights at the nearby Washington Nationals Park stadium.
"Seems they might not have told Capitol Police they'd be in the airspace. One officer here told me she saw the small plane appearing to circle before the parachuters jumped," Haake tweeted.
The stadium is roughly 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometers) from the Capitol.