-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
Sabalenka surges past teenager Mboko into Australian Open quarter-finals
Top seed Aryna Sabalenka shattered the Australian Open dreams of gritty Canadian teenager Victoria Mboko on Sunday to surge into her 13th consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final.
The Belarusian world number one laid down the law to the 19-year-old in the first set before meeting resistance in the second on her way to a 6-1, 7-6 (7/1) win on Rod Laver Arena.
She will play another fast-rising teenager, American Iva Jovic, or Kazakhstan's Yulia Putintseva for a place in the semi-finals.
Sabalenka, a two-time Australian Open champion, is bidding to reach her fourth straight Melbourne final and avenge a shock defeat last year to Madison Keys.
While beating Mboko, she will not be happy with 24 unforced errors and letting slip a 4-1 lead in the second set.
"What an incredible player for such a young age, it's incredible to see these kids coming up on tour," she said.
"She pushed me really hard today and super happy with the win, and once again, in straight sets."
The hard-hitting Mboko arrived in Melbourne on the back of a breakthrough six months, winning her maiden WTA title in Canada in August, beating Coco Gauff and Naomi Osaka along the way.
She followed it up with victory at the Hong Kong Open and made the final of the Adelaide International this month before powering through to her first round of 16 at a major.
But playing an experienced world number world one on centre court at a Grand Slam was a bridge too far.
Sabalenka saved two break points on her opening service game before sealing it with an ace as the pair sized each other up.
But once she had the measure of Mboko, Sabalenka began to assert herself, reeling off winners to score a double break and race through the opening set in 31 minutes.
Mboko, with heavy strapping on her right leg, was broken again to slump 1-0 behind in the second set as she struggled to find any answers.
A double-fault by the Canadian gifted Sabalenka another break to surge 4-1 clear and it appeared all over.
But Mboko pulled back a break then saved two match points to break again and spark the crowd to life.
It went to a tiebreak, where Sabalenka is a master and raced through to bank the win.
She has now won 20 straight Grand Slam tiebreaks to draw level with Novak Djokovic for the most in the Open era.
C.Meier--BTB